Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Monday, October 6, 2014

Want To Get Better From OCD?

My bloggy friends have been on a roll lately! I read Jackie Lea Sommers' post today and it is full of truth. Hard truth. But truth that will set us free. So I just have to share.

Want to get better from OCD? I do (most of the time!). Jackie removes a few of the excuses that can keep us mired in the mud. Yes it will hurt. Like h-e-double-hockey-sticks, want to rip every last hair out of your head, why is this happening to me, kind of hurt. Nope, it's definitely not a get better quick overnight kind of thing. Does that even really exist - for anything? Sigh. Oh, how I truly wish it did. Is it easier and quicker to get better from OCD with the right, properly qualified professional at your side? You bet! And I will always encourage any sufferer to get proper professional help, because I do believe it is really the best way to go. But for most sufferers, I think it is possible to make at least some bit of progress on our own. And even small progress can make an impact on our daily functioning and contentment in life.

It's NOT fair that we have OCD. It's not. I hate it. With every fiber of my being. I hate the pain it causes me and I hate the pain it causes those who love me. I hate the pain that it causes you. But hating it and realizing that it's not fair will not do one. single. thing. to improve our condition. I encourage you to go through the "this isn't fair, why is this happening to me, and I'm in agony" phase. I truly do. I think it's necessary. Hey, I still go back there for a visit every now and then. Just don't live there. Please. It will only make things worse for you in the long run.

If you decide that for whatever reason you cannot get the help of a professional, and you choose to go it on your own, I will be your biggest cheerleader. No, I'm definitely not even a partial substitute for a real, live, properly trained therapist. But I'm always glad to offer virtual hugs, encouragement, and the understanding of someone who has been (and continues to be) there.

I mean, what do you have to lose by trying? Besides the mind-numbing pain of OCD, that is? Hugs to you, my friends.

10 comments:

  1. A wonderful addition to Jackie's post, Sunny. I love what you wrote:

    "I encourage you to go through the 'this isn't fair, why is this happening to me, and I'm in agony' phase. I truly do. I think it's necessary. Hey, I still go back there for a visit every now and then. Just don't live there."

    Such wise words!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so important to have the support of cheerleaders who understand. You are such an encouragement and your blog helps bring hope to people - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Lauren! I have my own personal group of cheerleaders, and yes, it makes ALL the difference in the world.

      Delete
  3. I don't have OCD, but with COE I often feel all those things – over and over again! Bless you in your journey; the way you keep pushing on and make healing and progress a priority is truly inspiring. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Jean, I think you and I actually have quite a lot in common. I recognize myself in a lot of your posts. The 3 initials of our struggles might be different, but I think we share a lot of the same difficulties.

      Delete
  4. Hi Monique, I don't have OCD, but that doesn't stop me from appreciating your posts and I think you are giving great advice here...so thank you for sharing, for inspiring, and for encouraging others. Sending you a warm hug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing my post, Monique! You're wonderful! Great words of truth here on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, Jackie! I can always count on you to lovingly tell it like it is. We can definitely all use more of that in life. So thank YOU!

      Delete