Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Monday, September 22, 2014

Pain Today, Healing Tomorrow

I just finished watching a video of the speech given by Ethan S. Smith, the Keynote Speaker of the International OCD Foundation's 2014 Annual Conference. It is 46 1/2 minutes long. And worth every single minute. Ethan shared the story of how he went literally from the depths of hell to living a productive, meaningful life. It is simply brilliant.
Ethan S. Smith
Photo courtesy of IOCDF

In some ways, the video is not easy to watch. Ethan's therapists were tough on him because they needed to be. But it's also great to watch, as he is funny and vulnerable, and really, quite wise. His major OCD theme is hypochondriasis.

I viewed the video because I thought it might be a good resource to share with others. What I did not realize was how much I personally needed to hear his words, especially in light of my own recent trials. If you are struggling terribly with OCD, or you love someone who is, this is absolutely worth 46 1/2 minutes of your life. (Also, check out his blog post that is underneath the video. Definitely worth a read.)

"The amount of pain that you invest today is worth the pleasure for the rest of your life." Ethan S. Smith

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Sunny! I will definitely watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristina and Janet, if either of you does get a chance to watch it, I would be very interested to hear your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete