Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Monday, May 26, 2014

A Thought Shift

My friend Richelle, who is waging an incredibly courageous fight against OCD recently said this:

Instead of looking at every trigger in fear and responding by avoidance or with compulsions, I am starting to look at my triggers as opportunities for freedom. Everyday I accept that I will experience discomfort and anxiety and probably cry but I know it will go away. I know this fight will be well worth it.

And there it is. The thought shift that does indeed bring freedom. A new perspective. It makes all the difference.

Fight on Richelle - OCD is no match for you!

10 comments:

  1. Great post, Monique, and I am rooting for Richelle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great perspective. Thank you for sharing these words of courage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely appreciate Richelle's willingness for me to share this.

      Delete
  3. So simple, yet so powerful. Go Richelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh she is definitely doing the OCD community proud!

      I so loved what she said, because she encapsulated the mental understanding for beating this thing head on.

      Delete
  4. You are amazingly full of wisdom. This week I experienced a huge trigger involving fear and insecurity, and I reacted with avoidance and compulsion. I never thought of looking at it as an opportunity for freedom, but thinking about it now I actually can. It really gave me an opportunity to look within and see something so deeply embedded that unless I experienced that trigger I would have not dealt with. Today I had a session with my therapist and we did a lot of work on that trigger, it was freeing. Thank you so much for this post!

    Madison:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Madison, I'm so thrilled for you! Sounds like you had a real breakthrough! There are times when I've been thankful for something unpleasant, because it was the catalyst of something really good. How brilliant that you were able to recognize this. Richelle's comment really spoke to me, because it is very familiar to what my psychologist used to say to me all the time. She would always rephrase stuff in a more positive way, and it really does make a difference how you view life. Truly happy for you!!

      Delete
  5. A change in perspective can indeed be so freeing. It's amazing. Thanks for sharing this, Sunny, and good luck and many blessings to Richelle!!

    ReplyDelete