Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Friday, March 7, 2014

Judaism and Scrupulosity

Scrupulousity is a very painful form of OCD that attacks something that many of us care about most: our belief system. I myself have struggled with Scrupulosity and it is particularly agonizing because it involves my relationship with my Creator. Christians are not the only folks to battle this horror.

I've recently come across a book about Scrupulosity that is intended for people of the Jewish faith. It is called Religious Compulsions and Fears: A Guide To Treatment, and it is written by Avigdor Bonchek, Ph.D. Dr. Bonchek is a clinical psychologist and an ordained Orthodox rabbi.

I have not read this myself, so I am unable to speak to the quality of the book. However, I thought I would mention it, as perhaps it might be useful for my Jewish friends. I hope this helps.


8 comments:

  1. It sounds like an interesting book, Monique. Perhaps the author, although a Jewish rabbi, doesn't only focus on the Jewish faith, so this may be good for any christian. Nice of you to share this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my mission to pass on as much good information as possible to as many people as possible!

      Certainly, the heart of CBT/ERP is the same no matter what "flavor" of OCD.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad we can find good resources (like this book) to help us. What a gift :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely a gift! I had truly great therapy. But I must admit that a lot of good books were extremely helpful as well to bring me to a deeper level of understanding about what was tormenting me so much.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for bringing this book to our attention, Sunny. I am aware that scrupulosity can be a big issue in Judaism (I am Jewish), as so much of the religion revolves around rituals. For religious Jews, there is a prayer for EVERYTHING and while this can be a wonderful thing in many ways, for those with OCD it can become a nightmare. I'd like to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm SO happy that this might be helpful for you, Janet!

      If you do end up getting a chance to read it, please let us know what you think. I'd love to get your take on it.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the review on this book. Blessings to you dear one....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings to you too, JBR! I hope you are doing well.

      Delete