Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Alligators And Biting Ants

I'm having a great time visiting some family in Florida this week. Since I left NH, I've missed a snowstorm and frigid temperatures, and I will be missing another storm this weekend. I'm one lucky girl!

My days here have been filled with reading, sunbathing, swimming, eating out, and wearing my beloved flip-flops! And the sun. Oh the sweet, sweet sun.
Myakka River State Park, Sarasota, FL

I'm also excited because I have been doing so much traveling by myself over the last few years that flying solo has become very easy and (almost!) non-stressful. Hmmm, repeat an action multiple times and then it gets easier? Where have I heard that before?

So yesterday, we went to visit the Myakka River State Park. It was so beautiful. The best part of all? I didn't have obsessions about almost anything while we were there! We did a river boat tour, and saw at least a dozen alligators sunning themselves on the
Peekaboo!
banks. We followed that with a tram ride through other parts of the park. During the ride, the tram driver passed a little bit of vegetation around for us to touch. I had a brief thought of possible contamination from all the other visitors touching it too, but I didn't let it stop me.

At one point, I took some selfies in front of an alligator. All of a sudden, I felt something biting my foot. When I looked down, I realized that my (flip-flopped) feet were covered in biting ants. I had accidentally stepped on an ant hill! So here I was, standing barefoot in a parking lot, smacking my sandals against the pavement trying to get the ants off. In the past, that would have been horrifying for me for the rest of the day - you know, bugs, bare feet on the ground, etc. Ok, it was slightly horrifying, I mean, I do hate bugs. Especially ones that want to eat me. I was however, able to move on from this incident with no issues. Me, out in nature, with no desire to shower afterwards? Aaaaaah, freedom from OCD!
Mommy turtle is digging
a hole to lay her eggs.

I should have challenged myself more by using the restroom there, but hey, that's for another day. The only thing I did later was to wash my hands just one time quickly before lunch.

Mouth wide open!
So . . . what kinds of adventures could you experience if anxiety didn't get in your way? If you are putting off treatment, please don't! Alligators and biting ants await you! On second thought, that might not be the best thing to say to encourage you. : )

16 comments:

  1. Alligators? Thankfully I have never seen one here in Montreal. Love the tortoise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! Well if you start seeing alligators in Montreal, Linda, we've got a pretty big problem!

      Ah, so is tortoise the proper name? Anything with a shell just looks like a plain old turtle to me. It was so neat to watch her dig that hole with her hind legs. I wouldn't have known what was going on except that a woman standing nearby explained it to me. Such a great day!

      Delete
  2. That's great Sunny! You had a good time and the ants and the "contamination" didn't even bother you that much! Maybe alligators and biting ants await us all! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kristina! It's really great to hear from you! I hope you're doing well.

      Oh it was a lot of fun. One of the best days I've had in a while!

      Delete
  3. Yeah! So glad you're out enjoying life and not letting OcD get in your way too much. I, too am in Florida tonight and am having fun without ocd disturbing me. I still have some thots, but am able to talk myself out of the grossness of what OCD is saying to me. It's not perfect, but its far, far better than 5 years ago!

    I'm hoping to see some alligators too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy for you Karin! Yes, I'm able to talk myself out of a lot now too. The great thing is that the thoughts themselves are also coming less often. And when they do come, they are not as upsetting to me, or as hard to resist as they used to be.

      Enjoy your time in Florida!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you're having a good time, Sunny. OCD or not OCD, I don't think I would have been very happy with those ants! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm still not happy with those naughty ants. They left some nasty bites on me!

      Delete
  5. Good for you, Sunny! And thanks for the trip down memory lane. Don't know if I ever told you, but I lived in Sarasota for four years. And yes, you missed a lot of snow "up north!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you lived in Florida, but had no idea it was Sarasota. I really love this area. I can see why you chose to live here.

      Delete
  6. Sitting here in MA with more snow coming today, Florida biting ants and all sounds like PARADISE!!
    Wonderful to hear you were able to enjoy your day and not get to sidetracked by things that helped make the experience a good one.
    Good for you flying solo also! The airport process itself is a difficult one with all the needed touching of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I flew back to NH last night, and spent an hour driving through that storm today. Ugh! Will this winter ever end!

      You are right about the airport process. A TSA agent asked to go through my hair because I accidentally had left my sunglasses on my head when going through the body scanner. I was totally grossed out when I realized she didn't change gloves between pat-downs. Eeeeeew.

      Thanks for dropping by, Tea!

      Delete
  7. Good for you! And I'm so glad for you that you're having a FABULOSO vacation!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a really great time, thanks Jean. Alas, I'm back in NH. I left for my vacation in the middle of a (mild) snowstorm. I came back the same day of a major snowstorm on Tuesday. AND it snowed yesterday and tonight. This is total craziness!

      Delete
  8. Good for you for having such a fun time on your vacation! And not letting ocd get the better of you. I think having occasional ocd thots is 'normal' for those of us with ocd; not giving in is the trick. Id wash my hands too before lunch, if I'd been slapping at ants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin! I did have a great time. Oh yes, I believe I will always get some thoughts, but they don't bother me nearly as much. Yay for CBT/ERP!

      Delete