Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Your Child Is Dying

You're in a stark, fluorescent lit hallway. It's the middle of the night. You wait. For anything, even just a bit of news. "Something, just tell me something!" Seconds feel like an eternity and you think your heart might explode from the anguish. Finally, you see the doctor walk slowly toward you down the long corridor. You hold your breath in anticipation. Her face is grim. "I'm so sorry, but your child is dying."

What would you do? If the doctor said to you, "If you do a, b, and c, your child has a good chance of recovery," would you do it? What if a, b, or c were really difficult to do? Or very expensive? Or time consuming and maybe even painful? Would you still do it? Would you claw, fight, and scrape your way to make it happen? Would you spend hours researching the best treatments? What if the doctor said that doing these things would only offer a slim chance of recovery? Would you do it anyway?

Perhaps it's not your child, but it's your wife or husband. Would you still do anything to save his or her life?

Could it be that a person in your life isn't dying from a physical illness, but maybe their life is being destroyed by a mental illness? What will you do to help? It doesn't always have to be a physical illness to make someone feel completely dead inside. So, what will you do?

6 comments:

  1. Great post, Monique! Quite an eye opener. I can speak for myself here, but I think many of us really don't know what we would do until we are faced with such a situation. I would really like to think that we would do whatever it took...and pray that we would as well! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very effective post, Sunny! You've raised a good question. I think it's easier to consider what we'd do to save someone with a physical illness. It seems like we have fewer options and less support when making decisions about a mental illness. Maybe someday we'll have more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought-provoking post, Sunny, and I would like to think most of us would do whatever we could to help our loved ones. But as we know it can get complicated......with misdiagnosis and improper treatment. And the person with the illness has to be willing to accept help, of course. In so many ways, a physical illness is "easier."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to think that I would do everything I could to help my loved ones. But this makes me think, would I do the same to help myself? It often seems much harder to be patient and kind to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey guys! I absolutely LOVE and appreciate your comments and I'm so sorry I haven't responded sooner. It's been a combination of things - lots of headaches again, and several hours spent responding to really ignorant statements about mental illness on an online article. I'll fill you in on that later.

    I agree with all of your comments. It's so hard to know what we would do if we haven't been there. But, Janet, you have and you were also in the back of my mind when I wrote this. I believe you are a great example of a parent who did (and continues) everything in their power to help their child.

    ReplyDelete