Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Acceptance: Part Deux

Since my last post, I've given a lot of thought to the whole idea of acceptance. In fact, it's been going round and round my mind. I started to think about the definitition of acceptance. It sounds great to say, "Oh, sure - I accept my illness." But then, I was wondering, what exactly is acceptance? There are probably a lot of dictionary and textbook answers for it, but for me, acceptance equals agreement with reality. Meaning, I acknowledge the truth of my situation.

Acceptance doesn't mean that I give up, and that I think it may never improve. But I don't waste my mental energies refusing to see what is right before me, right now, at this very moment. It means that I don't live in the past when maybe things were better, and I don't live in the future where I desperately hope that everything will be perfect. Because, let's face it, things in the past may not have really been all that great, and there is nothing that guarantees that the future will be perfect. It's so easy to idealize the past or wax poetic about the future, because it's a great distraction for (or way to avoid) my present circumstances. Oh, and that pesky little thing called uncertainty? Oh yes, it certainly makes itself known when I truthfully accept what is going on here and now. Acceptance guarantees that I have to deal with the uncertainty.

So, what this means for me, is that I realistically acknowledge that today, I have a certain level of OCD, GAD, CSP, and depression. I should fight all of these things with as much effort as I can muster, but in the meantime, they are there and they can't stop me from pursuing what is important in life at this very moment. Yep, true acceptance. Ah, sweet freedom and peace for today!

What does acceptance look like for you and your circumstances?

11 comments:

  1. Hi Monique, great post, and I love your attitude and outlook on life. I struggle with depression and it hard hit me hard especially over the holidays (Christmas), as I have no family. Still, I am grateful for those that I do have (good friends, fellow bloggers), etc. Acceptance definitely helps my outlook on circumstances, as it makes me see a light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Linda, I'm so sorry you have no family. I did not realize that. Of course, the holidays are a struggle. : (

      But you know, one thing I always see about you with your blog is that you don't let the pain get in the way of moving forward. You have a sweet disposition about life and that is very contagious. And yes, there absolutely IS a light at the end of the tunnel, and it's so important to not forget that. And I agree with you how important it is to look at what we DO have, today, in this moment. Imagine how much stuff we would miss if we kept ignoring what was around us right now? Hugs my dear friend.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, dear Monique! God bless you...hugs to you as well, dear friend.

      Delete
  2. I really like how you summed up this post. Freedom and peace - I think that is what everyone really wants. Earlier today I was finding it difficult to accept some issues (and was beating myself up about it) and my husband reminded me to listen to the voice of truth, I can accept things and don't need to be afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your husband sounds like a pretty smart guy!!

      Delete
  3. Acceptance is harder than it seems, isn't it? And you're so right that with acceptance comes uncertainty. I feel uncertain about whether or not I'm "giving up," what steps I should take to try to get better, when I should just stop, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes it always is a quandary to know whether to stop fighting or not! I find though, that these days I can usually tell when I'm trying to manipulate things to go my way, versus just dealing with the reality of my situation. The minute my mind starts spinning in all directions and I try to come up with all kinds of ways to make something work, well it's a pretty good indicator to me that I should think of letting go and letting it be.

      Delete
  4. Acceptance for me is closely related to mindfulness. When my mind starts to race, I try to concentrate on the here and now, and just accept this moment in time. It usually works and fills me with gratitude. Great post, Sunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you, Janet. Which is why I even put mindfulness as one of the post labels! It's kind of hard to worry about other stuff when you're focused on something else, mainly today.

      Delete
  5. Acceptance for me means that though I strive to do better, I live in, appreciate and treasure the day I am living in when I wake up each morning. I call it being present, not worrying about yesterday or tomorrow. And it isent that I am always happy, though it is important for me to smile each day and feel the blessings I have been given. If I am experiencing pain and sorrow I just try to accept those moments as part of life too and really trust and feel that God is beside me on that journey too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krystal Lynn - that is so beautifully said! Wise words to live by. Thank you for sharing that.

      Delete