Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Monday, November 18, 2013

Alive & Kicking

The chorus of the Simple Minds' 80's hit, "Alive and Kicking," has been rolling around my head the last few days every time I thought about writing this post. Yes, I am indeed still alive and kicking, though you'd never know it from the lack of posts recently.

It's been a combination of things that's kept me from writing. I've been unbelievably busy (a good thing that I enjoy) and I had a couple of difficult situations recently that have been painful and anxiety provoking (a not so good thing). It was nothing earth shattering, but I do need to develop a thicker skin. If you figure out how to accomplish that one, please fill me in because frankly, I haven't a clue.

Unfortunately, one of the ways my anxiety showed up was in the form of hit and run OCD. One day last week, I spent almost an hour re-driving by "troublesome" areas. This is the worst episode I've had in quite a while. It's not the end of the world and I can move on from it, but it's still frustrating. C'est la vie.

In the meantime, I press forward. I hope things will calm down soon so that I will be able to post (and read!) blogs again.

Just a thought for both you and me as we head into the holidays. Nothing has to be perfect. There is no perfect gift, so we don't need to torture ourselves trying to find one. It's easy to idealize the holidays and then become disappointed when they don't meet our expectations. I think it's important to remember to take care of ourselves by trying to get adequate rest and also to take the time to enjoy (and be mindful of) the specialness of this season. God bless.

11 comments:

  1. Amen, Monique! So sorry to hear you are going through some hard times but I am glad that you are O.K. Sending you a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, Sunns! (Like my nickname for ya?) You're incredible. Don't beat yourself up over recent setbacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha you can call me whatever you like, Jackie! Oh, I'm definitely not beating myself up, it's just part of the recovery process, two steps forward, one back. I think your pretty incredible too!

      Delete
  3. Miss ya when your gone but completely understand and busyness can be a good thing. I had house guests for three weeks! My son, his wife and my grandson moved back to the states from overseas and stayed with us till they found a home. I enjoyed it immensely but there were a few times I got anxiety due to OCD and found myself hand washing excessively, which really disappointed me because I hate taking steps backwards. I have to remind myself that it is okay to slip up, And not to expect perfection from recovering from OCD behavior. I talked to my daughter in law about my OCD and that was very helpful for me to put it out there. I wanted them to feel comfortable in our home and instead of feeling crappy about my hand washing I want to be thankful that I enjoyed having them here and was not freaked out twenty four seven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Krystal Lynn, that is incredible that you were able to have houseguests for that long. Really, really good for you. I think it's great you talked to your daughter in law about it. I bet it removed awkwardness for both of you.

      Delete
  4. I have setbacks, too, Sunny, and it's so frustrating. But it's good to just move on from there. Getting better doesn't mean we'll never have a problem again, but it does mean that we know better how to deal with it and let it go. :-) I've been thinking about you and hoping you were OK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're always so thoughtful, Tina, thanks! Yep, no perfection in recovery! And yes, thankfully I know how to pick myself up and dust myself off now.

      Delete
  5. So glad you posted, Sunny........I was getting concerned about you! While I don't have OCD, I've certainly suffered setbacks in other areas.....we all do. But you've got a great attitude. Just continue on! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear from you, Monique! I understand your frustration (as someone who has always been easily frustrated) and I hope you are doing better. Sorry to hear you've been having setbacks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also have not done much posting lately because of a few things and very busy, but it certainly is nice to read your post. I love your heart felt advice about the holidays, presents and rest, I totally agree!

    Madison:)

    ReplyDelete