Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Thursday, October 31, 2013

When Will I Learn?

So I had my date with the dentist today. Jim joined me for my cleaning, and actually held my hand through it. I know, I'm a big baby! The staff at my dentist's office is awesome. They were totally cool with Jim coming in, and the hygienist even told me that they see dental phobia often. She said that she has seen patients literally shaking in the chair and sometimes she's seen patients just sitting there with tears rolling down their face. Wow. I feel incredibly bad for those other patients. I'm so blessed that both my husband and my mom were willing to come with me.

Just having a little fun with
my new toothbrush!
Now, for the interesting part. Surely, I could sense your prayers and I thank you so much! Jim, my mom, and my worship pastor were also praying and I believe all those prayers made a huge difference. I slept well last night and I didn't feel too bad throughout the appointment, which is amazing. I did have a pretty severe dizzy spell as I was getting into my car to leave. I'm sure it was from all of the adrenaline coursing through my body. So I sat in my car and took deep breaths until I felt good enough to drive. In a lot of ways anxiety doesn't scare me anymore, and I usually recognize the symptoms right away. I waited until it passed and then went about my day.

The best part? I have no cavities and my gums are the healthiest they've been in years! So I was (of course!) worried, once again, about nothing. Absolutely NOTHING. When will I learn?

Oh, and just a quick shout out to the Boston Red Sox who are the 2013 champions! Yahoo! I'm not a huge baseball fan, but hey, I'll jump on the bandwagon!


13 comments:

  1. Yay, no cavities! Good for you for facing your fear and going to the dentist. As to when will we ever learn? I think with OCD/anxiety, we'll always have anxiety. We just learn better ways to cope as we go along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear this, Monique!!! Yeah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for no cavities and yeah for the Red Sox!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they won and I'm glad it's over. Those games are stressful!

      Delete
  4. So glad your visit at the dentist went well. Wonderful news about your healthy teeth and gums.:-)

    Madison

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have anxiety going to the dentist too. We have moved alot with my husband having served in the military and whenever I go to a new dentist I tell him/her that I am scared and if they would just please tell me what they are doing before they insert anything in my mouth that, that helps. Cleanings are not problematic but I have had a root canal and a couple cavities and when work has to be done I just like them to communicate with me so I know what to expect. I also tell them to give me as much novicane as legally possible. lol Most dentists will laugh and tell me that I am not that unusual and many, many of their patients have a fear of dentistry so I never feel so bad. Glad your hubby went with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Krystal Lynn, you ALWAYS crack me up! As much novicane as legally possible! Ha ha ha.

      You know, sometimes I find just sharing my fears with someone actually helps to make me feel better. Saying stuff out loud takes some of the song away.

      Delete