Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Monday, October 14, 2013

International OCD Awareness Week, October 14-20, 2013



I like this year's theme of "so OCD."

I'll be honest. I cringe whenever I hear someone say that. I know that no harm is meant by that statement. I also know that lots of people think that those of us who get upset about this type of stuff are too sensitive or uptight. But here's the thing. Living with severe OCD is absolute agony that I would never wish on anyone. I have literally been on the floor, on my hands and knees, screaming and sobbing because I was so utterly distraught. I have spent days upon days (before completing treatment) wishing that I never had to take another tortured breath on this earth. I have had lots of contact with others who have OCD through support groups and annual conferences, etc. I have seen the torment etched on their faces. I have seen eyes that reflect a deep all-consuming well of pain, and I have seen incredibly red hands (sometimes my own) that look so raw and painful that you wonder how they can continue to use their hands.

I once had a psychologist tell me that in their opinion, OCD was one of the most painful mental illnesses to be afflicted with. The thing is, when someone flippantly says, "I'm so OCD," it completely minimizes the suffering of everyone who has it.

Yes, I really am so OCD. Ask me and I'll be happy to tell you all about it.

14 comments:

  1. Fantastic post, Sunny. I am so glad you are not living in that darkness now. I think that's the one good thing about OCD. It is treatable! Thanks for all you do to raise awareness about OCD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely it is treatable!! It's so important to get that information out there!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post, Sunny! You're so right about the pain that OCD causes. I've been in that darkness, too, and I'm so glad we're both in better places now. I, too, like this year's theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a time when I thought I would never find a better place. No one was more surprised than me when things started to improve!

      Delete
  3. HI Monique, it is a catchy theme. Thank you always for such an informative post. I learn so much and your shared experiences are the best to learn from. Hugs my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your support, JBR. It's heartening to know that others who don't even have OCD are still interested in learning about it. Hugs to you too.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Monique! I don't have OCD but I always enjoy your posts and insight! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I really appreciate that you care, Linda! We all have struggles, don't we? They just might look different, but we all need understanding and empathy.

      Delete
  5. Nicely written Sunny, it does seem to minimalist the pain of those truly suffering so I agree. Krystallynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great to hear from you, Krystal Lynn! I miss your blog. I hope you are doing well. Your posts were always so inspirational in the fight against OCD.

      Delete
  6. I used to flippantly toss that phrase around myself until my 15 year old son was diagnosed with OCD. I try not to be offended by it as being offended is a choice, but I will never look at it the same way again.

    I'm so happy to have found your blog. Watching my child suffer with this illness is so very hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy! Welcome!

      Oh I'm so sorry that your son has to deal with OCD. I'm also sorry that you have to suffer through that as a mom. As a parent myself, I know how horrible it is to see your child in pain. If I had a choice, I would gladly take my child's pain on myself than to watch the suffering. Kudos to you for being there for your son. I'm sure it is not an easy thing to do.

      I'm happy you found me too! I hope you can find a lot of good info here, at least a little comfort, and boatloads of hope! Your son definitely has a future and the hope for a much better life. Please tell him not to give up! It takes tremendous effort to fight OCD (with the proper therapy - CBT), but it is soooooo worth it. AND, from my own experience, the sooner you start fighting, the better.

      Please come back to "visit" any time!

      Delete