Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Saturday, September 7, 2013

The Envelope Please

A huge thank you to all of you who left really lovely supportive comments on my last post. Your kindness was (and is) much appreciated.

I continue to feel beyond exhausted, and yet, solid sleep eludes me. Just writing this post took some effort. I did, however, take your comments to heart, and I got some blood work done a few days ago. My doctor called me yesterday and said that the winner is: (drum roll) . . . low iron in my blood! It never occurred to me that this could be the problem. After hearing my test results, I did a bit of research on anemia, and apparently extreme fatigue is one of the main symptoms. Fatigue and Restless Leg Syndrome (this prevents me from sleeping well) are my worst symptoms. Apparently, low blood iron levels can also contribute to Restless Leg. My doctor told me to start taking iron supplements, and that is exactly what I shall do. I'm really hoping this will take care of my lack of energy.

I guess I'm not depressed after all. I've struggled with psychological issues for so long that I just always make the assumption that that is the cause for any physical symptoms I might have. In fact, I really was wondering if I was just lazy, and if that was why I was sleeping all the time. It feels really good to know that there is a physical cause for my symptoms and that it's not just in my head!

9 comments:

  1. Sunny,
    Whew, this sounds like positive news that you can get some iron pills! I hope this gets the job done. I was worried about you when I saw you hadn't posted for a while!
    -C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry your iron is low, but am so glad the doctor found it. I hope the iron pills help. My mom has had low iron off and on for years, and it really drains her.

    I know what you mean about thinking first that a problem is related to our mental illness. We forget that we still can have physical problems. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you pursued this and got some answers, Sunny, and I hope the iron pills help...please keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sunny, I am so glad to know that it isn't depression and that your symptoms can be managed. Thanks to your post I am going to see a doctor for my own fatigue and pray that it something manageable. Will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you went to the doctor! I'm on the low side of iron as well though not anemic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monique thank you for sharing and taking care of yourself. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Monique--thinking about you. I hope you can really figure out what's going on and feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much for your concern, Kristina! You are so sweet.

      Unfortunately, the iron hasn't kicked in yet, but I only started with a half dose to begin with, and I'm moving up to full dose today or tomorrow. I also went for more blood work and I'm really low on D too, so I'm going to start on a 50,000 unit D booster prescription today. And I'm eating tons of red meat right now! (That should really help my cholesterol levels ha!) Anyhoo, I'm trying to make better choices in my diet (that is VERY hard for me) as I crave carbs and only carbs (and definitely NOT healthy carbs like fruit and grains). So . . . you probably were not looking for my complete medical history, but . . . there you have it! : )

      Delete