Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Friday, July 12, 2013

Big To-Do Bout Nuthin

"Oh boy, do I feel silly," I thought to myself yesterday.

The plumber came. The plumber left. And it happened almost as quickly as it took you to read those last two sentences. Really. He showed up, talked to me through my screen door, and went to my back yard to work on a pipe coming out of the house. Less than ten minutes later, he came back to my screen door, told me he was done, and drove away. He never even came into the house! Alrighty then.

The best part is that Jim offered to stay at the house with me while the plumber was supposed to be there, and I told him not to and that I would be alright. I really did want him to stay with me. It was so tempting, but I knew it would be healthier for me if he didn't.

On another note, I had a little OCD win with my garage door yesterday. I always worry that I will drive away and accidentally leave the door up, and then children will come into our garage and get hurt on tools, etc. Well, when I drove away yesterday, for the life of me I could not remember if I put the door down. Oh how I wanted to drive back to check! I forced myself to keep driving anyway. You know what? A few minutes later, I forgot all about it and I didn't think about it again until I returned home many hours later. Yep, fighting OCD really is possible. One step at a time.

12 comments:

  1. good job on the plumber! i freak when people-workers for my house have to come. I panic. my husband can't be home during moments like these. and i have to admit that i have to take my anti anxiety med to calm me down.
    ...last night i went grocery shopping on my own b/c my husband is down with 3 herniated discs. i could feel the anxiety rising, the grocery store is only 3-5 mins away from us thankfully- and so i actually had to call my husband up and ask him to come to me to do the checking out process b/c my panic got to high! he sweetly came to my rescue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm sorry, Deanna. I did not realize that you also struggle with anxiety. Hey, there are definitely plenty of times that I need help to get through stuff too. I'm so glad your husband was able to help you at the store. Three herniated discs? Big ouch. Hope he feels better really soon.

      Delete
  2. I was laughing when I read the title of your post because I was going through my own little trauma when I read your last post, and it all turned out to be me worrying way more than I needed. The anticipatory anxiety of "what if...." is usually so much stronger than actually going through whatever experience I am afraid of. I hope someday I can learn and nip it in the bud. Anyway, thanks for your support//it really did help me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well well I'm glad I could provide you with a little chuckle, Krystal Lynn! I still have to remind myself ALL THE TIME that my imagination is usually far worse than reality. Sometimes I can believe it, and other times not so much.

      SO glad to hear that your own experience with having work done at your house was easier than you thought it would be also. I'm also just thrilled to hear that anything I wrote was a help to you. I myself have found a lot of inspiration from you. In fact I often think about you and what you might do in a situation. Believe it or not, part of my pushing myself is because I don't want to let any of my wonderful online family down!

      Delete
  3. So it turned out to be a non-issue. Yay! But you didn't know that when you declined your husband's offer to stay with you, so double yay! Way to go, Sunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Janet, I definitely didn't know that at the time! So it still ended up being an ERP even though it ended up being a lot easier than I thought it would be. Hey, I'm not complaining about that!

      Delete
  4. Good for you for tackling what you thought was going to be a big deal--and glad it turned out to be NOT a big deal. You were still prepared to deal with it, and that's what's important. And I know how hard it must have been not to drive back. I've felt that pull to go back and check so many times myself. Good for you for not giving in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel doubly good about this ERP, Tina, because I was planning on facing the ugliness of it anyway, and I didn't even have to.

      Oh it's soooooo hard to keep on driving away, isn't it? It's almost like there's this extremely strong magnetic force just trying to pull you back and you have to keep forcing yourself forward until you can get out of its trajectory.

      Delete