Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Sense Of Smell

Yep, that's a LOT of perfume!
I actually have a healthy obsession. Well, at least I think it's healthy! I am in LOVE with perfumes. Yes, I've (well, at least I'm trying to) become a perfume connoisseur. It all started in the last few years. I began to put on a lot of weight, and clothes shopping was no longer fun for me. I didn't feel that great about makeup either because I didn't like the way I looked. But, what I realized about perfume, is that I could wear it and feel feminine, and it fits every size and shape. Now, it's actually become a bit of a passion of mine and it no longer has anything to do with how I look. It does, however, have a lot to do with how I feel.

La Petite Robe Noire by Guerlain
- a new favorite in miniature.
Mmmmm.
When I'm experiencing anxiety, I try to be mindful of my environment and pay attention to my senses. One of the most powerful of them is the sense of smell. Until I began CBT/ERP, I had never before really paid much attention to my environment. I was always stuck in my head with terrible thoughts constantly swirling in never ending torment. I have since literally learned to stop and smell the roses (or, tuberose, in my case).

When I spritz or sprinkle on some new exotic "juice" (as they refer to it in the perfume biz), it evokes all kinds of feelings for me. Some scents, like lavender, are soothing and relaxing. Others, like vanilla, remind me of food and comfort. Some are energizing and some are just plain fun (Aquolina's Pink Sugar, anyone?). Like reading an intriguing book, perfumes have a way of transporting me to another place in my mind.

Unfortunately, I do have quite expensive taste. Have no fear, though, I've found a way around that. There's a certain makeup retailer that gives you 3 free samples every time you place an order, so I've been able to stock my perfumery quite inexpensively. Believe it or not, I've bought makeup just so I could get the 3 free samples! Even better, I've just discovered that there are some very high end perfume retailers that will sell you sample bottles. What better way to experience a $200 bottle of perfume that would normally never be in my reach! In addition, I'm starting to collect miniature perfume bottles. Again, these are at a fraction of the cost of the larger bottles, and some of the miniatures are little works of art in glass. They are literally eye candy for the sense of sight.

L De Lolita Lempicka
- beautiful miniature
and so yummy!
It might seem silly, but I do consider this one more little tool in my kit for fighting anxiety. It's an additional "trick" that helps me escape anxiety land. Plus, I figure if I push this angle - you know, the whole "perfume as therapy thing" - that my husband will be a proponent of keeping my juice supply full and plentiful. Ha ha.

22 comments:

  1. How interesting! The display of bottles is so pretty, and I love the shapes of the miniatures. Sounds like a wonderful obsession to have. And I think it's great that it's a tool in your toolkit. Things that give us pleasure help to relieve anxiety, and this sounds like a wonderful pleasure! Do you collect the miniature bottles themselves, empty? I bet you can gather quite a lovely collection.

    Thank you for sharing your obsession!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only just started collecting the miniatures, Tina. Oh, I bet I could find a whole bunch of empty bottles to collect if I looked for them. I love all the different shapes too. I have a few in the shape of an apple. So, so cute - especially the little apples.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely, feminine hobby! I know how you feel...having a "healthy" passion makes us feel more normal, doesn't it? My love of books, horses and pottery delight me because they have nothing whatever to do with my struggles with compulsive eating or depression. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I like horses too, Jean! Though I've only ridden a couple of times. They are magnificent animals. So regal and elegant.

      Yes, it is really nice to think about something totally different and not having to do with OCD.

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing! I absolutely love the smell of lavender...and lilacs! I find these scents very soothing. The bottles are quite attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, lavender sure is soothing, Linda. Unfortunately, I had terrible allergies to lilacs when I was a child. Now, even though I've outgrown the allergies, I still can't smell the scent of lilac. It just makes me feel like I want to sneeze! Even lilac candles make me feel weird. Funny, huh?

      Delete
    2. Hi Sunny, I totally understand! I had a case of diverticulitis last August and was on (ugh) antibiotics for it. I was beginning to lose my taste for food...even food I normally love! When the doctors diagnosed my condition to be diverticulitis and put me on antibiotics for a couple of weeks, my taste for food got even worse. It took me a very long time to get my taste for food back again (as in enjoying it), but even though I am able to enjoy it now my appetite has changed drastically. I don't eat as much as I should, but I am really trying to get back on the right track. I love your blog and appreciate the things you share.

      Delete
    3. Oh, you are so very sweet, Linda. Thank you so much for your kind encouragement.

      I'm sorry for your struggles with diverticulitis. I understand that it is extremely painful. Glad you are on the road to healing.

      Delete
  4. Such a fun obsession! One of my babysitters growing up had a perfume bottle collection, and as a 5, 6 year old I thought it was the most elegant, beautiful, feminine thing I had ever seen. I still love pretty cut glass, especially in different colors. :)

    I forget to put on perfume, but I love it when I do. I have used some essential oils that are supposed to help anxiety (bergamot) and that's been relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I would have loved that perfume collection as a child too, Anna! I always liked girlie things. I too really like colored glass. Something about it just catches the eye and makes me smile.

      I'm kind of afraid to try essential oils because I've heard that some of them can be dangerous - so I figure it's safer for me to stick with perfumes! It's funny, but my husband's favorite Earl Gray tea has bergamot in it. He really loves it.

      Delete
  5. I just loved reading this post Sunny. It is so sweet to hear you talk about your passion for perfume and I am glad you let us have a sneak peak at one of your interests. I love, love, love perfume bottles though I do not have a collection like you do. Have you ever sampled Michael Kors? He has one that is real light, think it has peony in it, just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooo, I've not tried that Michael Kors scent, but I will certainly be on the lookout for it now. I really like peony. My mom used to have a beautiful peony plant in her yard and it was absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful looking and beautiful smelling. Aaaaah. See why I love perfumes? You just brought me back to thinking about that plant in her yard. It's like scent memory - a vacation sort of in your mind, but brought to you by your nose! Ha ha

      Delete
    2. He (Kors) has a couple of perfumes out, so be sure to sample each one. They all smell good but I prefer the Eau de Parfum which has the peony in it. Tell me what you think after you sample!
      And I have to tell you that when I walked the mall yesterday I stopped by the perfume counter to sample. It was fun and something I probably wouldn't have done without reading your post.

      Delete
    3. Oh I absolutely will, Krystal Lynn. I will be on a mission until I find them!

      How cool - I'm glad you had fun playing around with perfumes yesterday. He he. Look at that - I'm rubbing off on you ha ha ha!!!

      Let's just say that my local Perfumania manager knows me by name. So many scents, so few days to try them. I will definitely go there this week to seek out Kors and I'll let you know what I think.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful hobby you have Sunny, and I can tell from your post how much enjoyment you get from it. Plus, you must smell really great too :)!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I DO really enjoy it, Janet. Well, I hope I smell great, ha ha!

      Delete
  7. I was thinking about using sents for therapy recently myself. That is a neat "obsession" that you have! Sents can bring back memories for me pretty strongly, particularly soaps. I also have a new theory that the sent of peppermint helps me relax.

    I think your perfumes are a great tool for mindfullness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like soaps too, Abigail. Not only do they smell good, but they come in pretty shapes! I especially like scented body washes. Suave has a whole bunch in a ton of different scents. There's one called "Sunshine" I think. It reminds me of the smell of bananas. Yum.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Well, thanks Jackie! I have to admit - I just ordered some more samples. Aaaagh I'm out of control! ha ha ha

      Delete