Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Happy

No thanks, I'm good without it.
Tonight I felt really . . . happy. For no special reason. And that is awesome. The last few months have been a bit difficult, both with anxiety and depression. Lately, they've been weaving in and out of my mind a bit more often. So it felt great to not feel the weight of either of them this evening.

Before he left work this afternoon, Jim texted me and asked if I would like to go out to dinner. He figured that since we had a pretty busy week coming up that we wouldn't have much alone time together, so he thought a dinner out would be nice. Nothing fancy, just a local Chinese restaurant that we really like. We went and enjoyed both our time together and the excellent meal. I thought it was pretty funny when I opened up my fortune cookie and found a note that said, "You will soon achieve perfection." In the past I would have read that longingly and wished it to be true. Now, I just laugh at statements like that. I don't want or need perfection anymore. Not that it even exists anyway.

What is that round protuberance
coming out of my stomach?
When we got home, my kitty, Anna, and I played with a ball on my bed. It felt like total carefree freedom. In the past, I would have felt like my bed was dirty, or that I was dirty, and that I couldn't just roll around on my bed and play with my cat. And that's when it hit me. I was happy. Happy to just be. Happy to hang out with my cat and not worry about contamination. Happy to leave perfection and all of its burden behind.

22 comments:

  1. So glad you had this happy time! It really is wonderful to just be happy in the moment. I love the photo of Anna. Our Sam loves to play with a ball, too. We have little yellow ones that she loves to bat back to us. So funny and fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I like Sam for a girl cat's name, Tina. Is it short for Samantha? So pretty.

      Delete
    2. Yes, it's short for Samantha. Her middle name is Adair. So she is Samantha Adair Barbour! :-)

      Delete
    3. I like that - very sophisticated! As of course, all cats are.

      Delete
  2. I love this! I agree with Jean, days like this are a gift. That'a one thing about OCD - it makes me so much more grateful for "the bread of common happiness" as Denise Levertov calls it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, Anna. I appreciate these types of simple things so much more than I ever used to because of my experiences with OCD.

      Delete
  3. Blogs need "like" buttons like facebook has. Or better yet, "LOVE" buttons. I would hit the "Love" button 15 times for this post. Days when we experience unencumbered happiness are few and far between, and I'm glad you had one today. Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me laugh, Shana! I've learned to really embrace these times, for as you say they are far and few between. Ha ha ha rock on to ya too girl!!!!

      Delete
  4. I am really happy that you are happy! I was just thinking of the subject of perfection and how I always told my children growing up that it was okay for them to make mistakes and the lessons that we can learn from mistakes are invaluable growing tools. Sometimes I am smarter handing out advice than taking it. lol But I also believe it is never, ever to late to learn, change and grow.
    Stay happy and thank you for reminding us to throw perfection out the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Krystal Lynn! Ha ha I tend to be better at giving advice too! Sometimes I should listen to myself. Sometimes I still catch myself aiming for perfection-it's really sneaky. I have to watch out for that.

      Delete
  5. How great, Sunny! Not only to feel so happy but to appreciate the moment as well. Wishing you more and more happiness as the days go on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those care free moments are always to be cherished. Dear one you have grown since the time I began reading your blog. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do cherish these days now, JBR. Hugs to you too!

      Delete