Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Extended Trip




Beautiful sunset
Sometimes I can be a little flaky. Case in point: I booked my flight home from Florida for Friday, March 8th, instead of Friday, February 8th!!!!! A friend told me that this must be a Freudian slip. Ha ha - quite possibly. Well, it actually works out alright, because this Friday and Saturday, there is going to be a monster snow storm barrelling through the Northeast. Had my flight been scheduled for this Friday as I had originally thought it was, I most likely would have been stranded overnight in the Atlanta airport on Friday. That is an experience I can live without! I've booked a flight home for early next week, after the storm is all over. The only really painful part about this delay is the $150 airline change fee. Yikes! At least I get a few extra days to sit in the precious sun. Aaaaah.

The flight down to Florida was pretty uneventful. Though I was very tired, my OCD didn't really act up much. I did see an airport bathroom attendant wiping down the counters with the remaining tissue left on an almost used up roll of toilet paper. Eew. Since arriving here, I've had a handful of free-floating anxiety attacks (meaning that I can't figure out what caused them). When they hit, I just try to be mindful of my surroundings as a way to bring myself back to the present, instead of being off in anxiety-land. I also pray.

I've struggled some with contamination issues, of course. I did force myself to ignore a hyper-responsibility obsession. I was in a store and dropped a ceramic magnet onto the floor. I looked at it quickly, noticed that there were no cracks, and I put it right back in its place. I wanted to keep examining it to make sure that no one would get hurt on any jagged pieces, but I reminded myself that I already checked it and it was fine. I forced myself to walk away from it, and to be honest, I hadn't even thought about it again until right now.

I am a little worried about my husband having to drive around in the snow storm. I know it bothers me because it leaves me feeling uncertain and out of control. I am also scared because he has another head cold (very unusual for him). The fact that he is on immunosuppressent medication means that he is vulnerable to many illnesses. A simple cold could turn into a disaster for him. However, other than praying for him, there is nothing else for me to do. So . . . I'm making a conscious effort to let go of this too. For me, part of seizing the day means embracing uncertainty. So that is what I shall do.

I LOVE palm trees!

12 comments:

  1. Sunny, I'm so glad you are enjoying your trip. That is so funny that you booked the flight to come back a month out! :-)

    Great job on the ceramic magnet. I worry about things like that, too, so I know how hard it is to walk away.

    Hope your husband feels better quickly. I'll say a prayer for him and for you, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so appreciate your prayers, Tina, thank you!! I can't believe I did that with my return flight. It's a good thing I called the airline to reschedule my (imaginary) Friday flight, because I would only have found out when I arrived at the airport!

      Delete
  2. I can be flaky too..for all the "checking" I do, it is amazing what I can overlook. But it all works out in the end, doesn't it? I am so proud of you for going on the trip, for enjoying it and for your delightful attitude. I love hearing your accomplishments, in a way they give me the courage to work through the OCD that creeps into my daily life.
    Prayers for you and your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very sweet Krystal Lynn-your adventures give me courage too! Truly they do. I often think of all of you when I'm faced with a fear and it motivates me to push on. In spite of some obsessive thinking, I am enjoying myself. OK, this is so funny. I'm typing this from my phone and when I tried to type the word "obsessive," it auto-corrected it to "obese sauce." Huh? I'm not quite sure what that is but I'm pretty sure I don't want to eat any - I already have enough weight to lose!!! Ha ha

      Delete
  3. Oops! on booking the wrong day, but then it's good you shouldn't have to deal with the storm this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops is right! Oh well it worked out for the best!

      Delete
  4. Sunny, coming back to our New England weather on March 8th isn't flaky, it's a stroke of genius!! We are getting hit hard as you say. Enjoy sunny Florida while you can and I will keep you and your hubby in my thoughts as well....Bask in the sun while we shovel the snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha you're right Janet, it's a stroke of genius. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

      I do hope the storm is not as bad as predicted and that you are all ok. Stay safe!

      Delete
  5. Wow, I see a God divine providence working with your travel back. Glad you are enjoying Florida. I love palm trees too! Weeee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know JBR, that's what I was thinking too. God protected me from having to fly in that mess and I didn't even know it! Love that.

      Delete
  6. Lucky you that you were able to get away from the snow for awhile! And that you were able to quickly work thru the problem with the ceramic piece so it didn't mess up your holiday too much.

    I didn't know that palm trees got red flowers on them! Beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Karin!! It has been great to get away. It was especially great that I missed that huge storm.

      Actually that picture is quite deceiving - the flowers were on another plant next to the palm tree. I agree-it does look like it's part of the tree!!

      Delete