Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Friday, February 1, 2013

Bon Voyage!

In approximately 4 hours, a taxi will be picking me up to whisk me away to the local airport. For those of you keeping track, yes, I will be picked up at 4:15 a.m. This means that I must be awake around 3:30 a.m. to get ready. I rarely fall asleep before, say, 1:30 or 2:00 a.m. This should be interesting. My anxiety always goes on overdrive when I've not had enough sleep, so I'm praying that God will help me through these next several hours. I'm not even tired yet, and I'm already a nervous wreck.

I'm flying by myself to visit some relatives in Florida for this next week. Leaving my husband behind. I'm going by myself. I already said that, didn't I? It's really hard for me to leave Jim, my "safe person." In fact, a little while ago I mentioned to him that I thought I was making a mistake leaving him behind. I have this weird fear that he will die when I'm gone and I will have missed my opportunity to spend his last moments with him. He hugged me and said, "You need to go - as part of an exposure." He's right. Again.

The funny thing is that this is not the first time I've traveled alone. I even have family waiting for me on the other end of the flight. I visited family in Florida by myself last winter. Furthermore, in the summer of 2010,  I went to the IOCDF Annual Conference completely by myself, and I was in much worse shape, mentally speaking.

So what am I afraid of? Hmm . . . strange public bathrooms. What to do with my luggage when I go into strange public bathrooms. Going through security. Pulling out my little baggie of liquids and hoping that I don't get arrested for making some kind of security mistake. Spending a 3 hour layover in an airport that I've never been in before. Sleeping in a strange bed. Bed bugs. Being away from Jim, and my kitty, Anna. Being out of my comfort zone. Uncertainty about what will happen. Sounds like a lot of anticipatory anxiety. Yep, sounds like a good exposure to me.

15 comments:

  1. Welcome to my hometown. It is cold today. Brrrrrr. Blessings to you dear one. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey JBR! Well, I can tell you that it is a LOT warmer here than back in NH and I'm loving it!

      Delete
  2. Great attitude, Sunny. I hope you have a wonderful trip. I always have tons of anxiety leaving Shep, too, or when he leaves me – scared something will happen to him, etc. etc. It's hard to leave our comfort zones! Blessings to you in this trip and always. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the comfort zone. A place I love to live. But, it never fails, I am almost always glad I left it. Blessings back at ya!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, I plan on it! I love your new little icon with the lavender. So pretty.

      Delete
  4. I understand the fears--I have the same ones when I'm away from home and away from Larry. I'm so afraid that something will happen to him.

    Your husband is right--it's a great exposure. And I hope you enjoy the trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. . . I guess my fear is not so unusual, is it? It's funny, Jim is a grown man, but sometimes I worry about him like he is my little baby. ha ha

      Thanks Tina, I'm going to try my best to enjoy everything in spite of any anxiety.

      Delete
  5. When I'm away from my family, I never feel quite right, and am always happy to be home again. But I also think it's good to get away by yourself (plus you have all those great exposures to look forward to :) )and my guess is you'll have a great time. I hope you do, and then report back to us! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Janet, I think you are right. It is good to get away from everything because I think it gives you a chance to look at things from a different perspective and it certainly makes me more thankful when I come home. And yes, I am getting exposures by the barrel full here! But it is beautiful and warm and I'm enjoying that too. I will certainly have a full report later. : )

      Delete
  6. Safe travels! And enjoy your visit in Florida, the sunshiine state. I live in Florida:)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that you live in Florida, Deanna, you lucky girl! Thank you i am having fun.

      Delete
  7. I am really proud of you going despite your fears Sunny. It was kinda funny for me because as I was reading the comments I was wondering what in the world is wrong with me(?) because I have no fear traveling alone or leaving my husband behind. I mean, I miss him but there is no fear. Then it hit me, he was in the military for 23 years and was always coming and going so it is something I just acclimated to as being part of life. But the other fears I totally relate to, especially having to lug my carry-on bag into the toilet with me, bed bugs and the fact that my people tired exasperates my anxiety. Kudo's to your husband for encouraging you and have a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krystall Lynn, you always make me laugh! There sure is nothing wrong with you - you are just a strong, confident woman. I am glad i listened to Jim - it definitely was a good thing to come here.

      Delete