Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Carpe Diem!


I hate New Year's resolutions. I am firmly against them, because I have always failed at them. However, I like the idea of a "theme" for the year. Thanks Tina for this great idea! My theme this year is "Seize the Day!" What I like about this theme, is that it can mean very different things in all kinds of situations. It can mean facing a fear head on, or attempting something new, or it can even refer to trying to follow God when it's difficult to do so. I want to be the kind of person who attacks life and doesn't just let it slip by. I've done that for way too long thanks to anxiety and depression.

I decided to go with this theme because it dovetailed very nicely with some thoughts I have been having recently. You see, I have lived in New England for almost all of my life. Even so, I've never been on a pair of skis or a snowboard. I should probably turn in my Northeastern citizenship card immediately! I have been thinking about going skiing for the last several weeks. We recently had two signifiant snow storms and I live close to a small ski mountain. So what's my excuse? Fear. Lots of it.

First, I am afraid of getting hurt. If my post on riding a bicycle doesn't convince you that I'm an un-athletic klutz, well then I guess nothing will! Beyond that, I'm also afraid of getting contaminated. I'm afraid to get sweaty as I always feel so dirty. I also don't like the idea of getting all my clothes wet (and perhaps muddy) from the snow and dirt, and then sitting on areas where other "dirty" skiers/snowboarders have been sitting. Outside activities (particularly on rainy or snowy days) have always been a contamination challenge for me. I remember cringing about it constantly when my child was small and would spend time outside in the elements and then bring back wet boots, a soggy hat, and soaked mittens.

In light of my theme, I'm trying to muster up the courage to hit the slopes. Ok, the bunny slopes. But, slopes nonetheless. I am hoping to do this in the next couple of weeks. I shall keep you posted. Oh boy, now that I've posted about it, I really have to do it, don't I? Carpe diem!

18 comments:

  1. I love skiing! I'm not athletic at all, and I take quite a lot of tumbles when I ski, but it's so much fun. I'm so excited that you'll be trying it out! I'd love to live in a place where I could ski regularly. Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, then I will have to fill you in about it, Anna! I'm glad to hear you don't have to be too athletic. I guess I could just sort of "fall" down the hill!! ha ha

      Delete
  2. I'm afraid of skiing, too. I liked it when I was young, before the fear set in. Like other sports. I wish I'd learned more then. Now I'm scared.

    I've only done cross-country skiing. In that, you don't have to spend as much time going down hill (you can ski up hill or flat, too, depending on your trail). Maybe that would be giving in to OCD, but maybe it would be a "compromise" that would help you actually get out there.

    Anyway, good luck! And I like your theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abigail, I will need some good luck not to break my neck! ha ha I've wanted to try cross country skiing, but it looks so physically hard! I'm so out of shape, that I better stick to rolling down hills.

      Delete
  3. I've skiied before. It wasn't my thing. If you try it and don't like it, you don't have to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you're right Kristina, nothing says I have to keep doing it. I just feel like I can't go through life living in New England never attempting the biggest regional sport! And I don't want fear to be the reason I didn't do it.

      Delete
  4. Love your theme! I've never been skiing either, and I live fairly close to a ski resort. There's fear involved, and I'm so unathletic. But I'd like to try someday. I'm excited for you that you want to try it out. Kudos to you for pushing through the fear. Keep us up-to-date on it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks, I got the idea from you!! Yes, I will definitely fill you all in on the details. If I live through it, that is. : )

      Delete
  5. Good luck! I finally accepted that I don't really like to ski, so I've given it up. But you should definitely try. Maybe you'll love it!

    I SOOO hear you on the feeling that being wet increases the sense of contamination. And I live in the soggy northwest! I've been working on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, what is it with the idea of stuff being wet making it feel more dirty? OK, this is going to sound really weird, but I also worry that if a piece of cloth is wet, that it allows for the transmission of dirt to go through it. So if it was dry and touched something dirty, then only the outer part that touched the dirty thing would be dirty. But if it's wet, then the dirt gets transported through the wet part of the cloth and the dirtiness is now also on the inside of it too. Totally strange, I know!

      Delete
  6. Chickie, I'm so proud of you! Good for you for trying. But remember, if you don't like it, that's no sin. :-) I love your theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Jean! Yes, you are right. I'm just going to try it and go from there.

      Delete
  7. GREAT Theme!! And you are right, it can be related to so many situations. I'm not a downhill skier (been a few times but I don't like chairlifts!) but x-country skiing is one of my most absolute favorite things to do. The main thing is to try new things and then decide for yourself. Good luck! Can't wait to read about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Janet, as always. Much appreciated. : )

      Delete
  8. We live about 5 minutes from a ski resort and every year I tell myself that I am going to go learn. For me it is more about the fact that it is so bitter cold out here and once it gets below 20 degrees I shudder at being outside for over 10 minutes. I see photo's of people ski-ing in Colorado in just a sweater and snow pants and wonder if that is really possible. ? Anyway, love your mantra and some of the most exciting and fun things I have ever done was to "seize the day", jump in and just do it. If you do, please let us know how you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krystal Lynn, when I think about someone seizing the day, you definitely come to mind! I love hearing about all your adventures and I love how you seem to have such a zest for life.

      Luckily for me, I don't mind the cold weather so at least that won't be an issue for me. I will absolutely keep you all up to date. Unfortunately, I've come down with a bit of a nasty head cold so I guess skiing is definitely out for this weekend. : (

      Delete