Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Monday, December 17, 2012

Who Knows Of It?

Pain, suffering covers all like a murky fog;
Who knows of it?
Grief, loss, futures vanished like whispers in the wind;
Who knows of it?

Hearts shaken, lives shattered;
Who knows of it?
Tears fallen, knees buckled under weight of sorrow;
Who knows of it?

Teeth clenched, palms raised in disbelief;
Who knows of it?
Eyes downcast, heads hung low in despair;
Who knows of it?

He knows of it.
He brings water to the thirsty,
comfort to the anguished,
strength to the weary,
and guidance to the lost.

He knows of it.
He brings hope to the hopeless,
dawn to the night,
healing to the pained,
and peace to the tormented.

Bring it to Jesus, who restores the crushed
and mends the broken.
Yes, He knows of it.
                     M. Gagne

I wrote those words in an attempt to get rid of it. What exactly is "it?" I have no idea. Sorrow, shock, horror, rage; take your pick. Whatever small discomfort I am experiencing is absolutely minuscule compared to the devastation that is facing several families in Newtown, Connecticut. I've struggled to pray for them. I don't really know what to say in my prayers, as the whole situation is completely overwhelming. Mostly, I just ask God to comfort them. Because, thankfully, He knows of it.

The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.
Psalm 34:18 ESV

14 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. You capture the pain and despair and yet, the hope that is there because He knows of it. Thank you for sharing what you wrote, and for sharing your hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly my prayer that the people of Newtown feel hope again real soon.

      Delete
  2. Yes, a beautifully expressed poem.
    I think that is exactly what God does, he comforts and sustains us through our sufferings. That is what our prayers were on Sunday, that God would surround them with his love and give them the comfort of their families and friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krystal Lynn, it has been heartwarming to hear how many people across the world have been praying for these folks.

      Delete
  3. I tell you, if there was not a God I really do not know how people do it. Wonderfully written dear one. Thank you for sharing Monique. Blessings and much hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I so agree, JBR. Without God, nothing makes any sense.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean. I hate feeling helpless. Wish I could do something tangible for those suffering through so much right now.

      Delete
  5. so true, and a beautiful poem.
    Thaks for sharing.
    God Bless you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful poem. I couldn't even write about this tragedy......there are no words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words have been difficult to find, Janet. I can't even begin to imagine the total horror of it all . . .

      Delete