Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Friday, December 21, 2012

This Christmas Season

This Christmas season, I've struggled a bit with getting into the spirit of things. The tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut has certainly been on my mind. In addition, this week, I attended the funeral of a young, expectant mother, who also left behind a child that was seriously injured in the same car accident. The same day I learned about the car accident, I read Janet Singer's heartbreaking post about the 19 year old who took his life because of severe OCD.

I was only a minor acquaintance of the young woman (in fact, I think I've only ever spoken to her once), and I never met any of those poor souls who lost their lives in Connecticut, or the young man who was so tormented by OCD. Yet, I've struggled with feeling guilty about trying to enjoy the holidays.

I had a discussion with my husband about this the other night. I told him that I was having a hard time moving forward and that I felt torn. If I move on with my life, I feel like I don't care about the suffering of others. However, if I spend too much time thinking about things that I absolutely can't change, then I end up getting sicker and my anxiety worsens while my depression deepens.

Pretty decorations lift
my spirits.
My husband looked at me and said, "Monique, life is for the living." Those words really stuck with me. So that's what I'm going to really try to do this next week. I'm going to live. I'm going to be thankful to Jesus for coming into my life, and I'm going to enjoy time spent with my friends and family. I know that if I passed on, that is absolutely what I would want for my loved ones left behind. I think the best way we can honor those who go on is to remember them, and to comfort and serve those they left behind. But, we also need to live, because life is for the living.

12 comments:

  1. What a good thing for your husband to say. And he is right. You are not detracting from anyone by going on with your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, though, Kristina, because I feel like I'm being insulting to hurting people but I guess that is just silly. Thanks for your support - it helps!

      Delete
  2. Your husband is very wise, and his words are a good reminder for the rest of us. I have had many of the same feelings over the past week or so, so I understand the sense of guilt and the sadness that you speak of. May you find peace and comfort this season. As always, your faith is inspiring to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you've struggled with this too, Tina. Yes, my hubby is very wise - I'm lucky to always have such great counsel from someone so close to me. I sure hope you find peace as well.

      Delete
  3. This post instantly reminded me of a post I wrote http://forthelordismylife.blogspot.com/2012/09/why-do-you-walk-among-dead.html .

    I know that feeling you're talking about... feeling as if it just isn't right to move on in life, to back with the cheery and laughter after such tragedies and knowing how others are stuck in mourning. This is something I used to struggle with so badly. And even now I still don't think it fair. But, like in the post in which I mentioned above... not only had I knew the message (the question) "why do you walk among the dead?" at the same time I knew our God was saying that -He's got it, He's got this.

    So understanding,
    Deanna
    PS_ the white tree with purple is gorgeous!
    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely have to check out your post, Deanna. Thanks for sharing that. You know, it isn't fair that we get to move on with life. But, I guess that's just the way it is, unfortunately. I guess I don't really expect others to stop living life when hard things happen for me either.

      The white tree is beautiful, isn't it? I think it was a display tree at Sears that I took a pic of. If you look real closely - I think you can see a price tag in there!!

      Delete
  4. Yes life is for the living! On my journey I have struggles that want me to just quit. Monique, I am glad you have someone to remind you of important things. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I AM so blessed, JBR, by having my hubby and wonderful people like all my fellow bloggers (that means you too!) who offer so many words of wisdom and encouragement. Life would be so much harder without it, that's for sure. Blessings to you too.

      Delete
  5. Your husband gave good advice.

    The Newtown, Connecticut situation is heavy on my mind as well. There is so much sadness in this world right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is a lot of suffering in the world, Elizabeth. That's why I pretty much don't watch the news anymore. I literally can't take too much of it. I have a magazine subscription that came in the mail today and the Newtown tragedy was on the cover. My husband got worried about me when he saw it and told me to throw it out. However, I do want to read this issue. But then, I think I will have to put it to rest in my mind (or at least try to). I have to be very careful to not let it consume me.

      I figured a lot of my fellow bloggers would be struggling with this tragedy too - I think we are all pretty sensitive (in a good way - though it takes its toll on us) to others. I'm sorry you've carried this with you as well. Sigh.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this post. Many struggle with getting on with life when tragedy has hit those we know and those we do not know but feel for just the same. Your husband is right we are still alive and for a purpose and thus we must live our lives as best we can. Those who have passed before us would wish that we live our lives the best way we can for ourselves and for others. It is hard though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you hit the nail on the head. We are here for a purpose - and it would be a terrible waste to not move forward. Sometimes I forget that, but if I can focus on that, I think that will help to keep positive momentum.

      Delete