Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Lesson Learned From Christmas Exposure

I am now past the terrifying Christmas exposure of the candles. I'm not going to sugarcoat it - it was terribly miserable at first, but, as time wore on, I realized that I could handle this exposure just like I've handled every other one. Once again, the anticipatory anxiety was the true problem.

A couple of my worst fears even came true during this exposure, and yet, the world did not come to a crashing halt. Someone did accidentally knock over one of the candles, but it went out on its own on the way down. Phew - so it didn't burn down the building! Also, a child came over to help me blow out the candles, and she blew so hard on it that the wax flew back onto her and burned her hand. I thought I was going to die! I immediately sent her to the bathroom to put her hand under cold water and I went to find her mom. When I told the mom, she looked at me and said, "Uh, I think she's fine. If you turn around, you will see that she's jumping around and laughing, so I don't think it's a problem." Alrighty then. Another crisis averted.

Confession time - I did not hand out the glass candle holders as gifts. I was too afraid of the chipped glass hurting anyone (this is a harm obsession). In fact, I threw them all out (which was a compulsive act - a harm compulsion - because I didn't want to hurt anyone). I know, it's an awful waste of money. I do struggle with guilt about that, but fear always beats out guilt. Let's just say this incident caused a little, um, "domestic tiff" between myself and my husband, who had previously forbidden me from throwing them out. Ooops. he he

Sort of a White Christmas - just a couple of days late!
Meanwhile, I had an incredibly joyful Christmas with my family. I thank you so much for all of your prayers. Yes, OCD was still my companion, but it did not rule the day. We also got nailed with our first real winter storm (approximately 6 inches or so) on Thursday. Thought you might like to see a pic of that.

18 comments:

  1. good for you! Sometimes it's actually helpful to have our fears "come true" and realize that it's not a big deal, or it's never the BIGBIG thing we think it will be. It never seems that way ahead of time of course.

    Eventually you can give away those candle holders (well, the next version anyway) if you keep yourself moving forward, I have faith in you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are so right, Ann - sometimes it really is for our best to have the "terrible" things we fear come true and then we see that we have made so much more out of them in our minds than what they really are. Thanks for the encouragement - yes I will keep pushing forward.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes it is good to be cautious! It's good to be aware because the world and some things are full of trickery! Just be patient and gentle with yourself as God is gentle and patient with you. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley. I will try to be gentle with myself, but sometimes, it's not easy to do! Blessings to you too.

      Delete
  3. You did great to go through the candle exposure. It would have easy to back out, so good for you. But don't beat up yourself with the candleholders. These things take time, and one day, in the same type of situation, you will stick with them. You are strong and brave, and you are getting stronger and braver as time goes on. Hold on to that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will hold on to that, thanks for your kind words, Tina. Oh, I wanted to back out of the candles SO bad, I can't even begin to tell you. Fortunately, there was no real way I could back out, and that really did work to my advantage, though I sure didn't think so at the time.

      Delete
  4. We STILL don't have any snow. Hope you don't mind that I throw a little jealousy at you here.
    The candles? God saw how well you were handling the situation that He figured you could also play our a few of your senarios so you would see that the world DIDN'T come to an end.
    Wouldn't it be great if Ocd could be cured by being forbidden to do something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'll tell you what - I'll send you all our snow! We are in the middle of ANOTHER snow storm right now as I write this. Getting sick of it already!

      Ha ha - you make a really good point - I never thought of that - God knew I could handle it so He "arranged" for me to learn a few extra lessons.

      Oh, I wish OCD could be just cured, I don't care how!

      Delete
  5. Monique, I am so glad that you did have a good Christms. You handled everything nicely. I am proud of you when you faced your challenges! Happy New Year and much hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All in all, it sounds like you did great with the candles, Sunny. Here's to a wonderful 2013 with very little (if any) OCD, and snow (I'm sick of it already too)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha, Janet - yes, I TOTALLY agree - a 2013 with less OCD AND snow would be a totally awesome year. I'm so sick of it already too. Two big storms in one week - ugh.

      Delete
  7. Pretty snow!

    I'm glad you made it through okay and OCD did not completely take you over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the snow is pretty, Elizabeth - for like a day. Then I want it gone, gone, gone - especially now because Christmas is over. Oh well. Oh, I'm so glad that the OCD didn't ruin Christmas. I was really worried it would and I didn't want to ruin it for my family.

      Delete
  8. So glad to read that you had an incedible joyful Chirstmas!!! Isn't that what CHRISTmas is about... love and family and all that is good:)

    Happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes it is all about that. Happy 2013 to you too and I hope your Christmas was wonderful.

      Delete
  9. I am happy for you Sunny. I hope you and your family had a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a great Christmas, thanks, Krystal Lynn. Hope you did too!

      Delete