Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Nice To Meet You

Today is the one year anniversary of 71º & Sunny. When I first started this blog, I was anxious about keeping my identity a secret. I didn't want anyone but my immediate family to know that I was "Sunny." (By the way, thanks for giving me that nickname because I totally love it!!) I know that lots of you have struggled with whether to tell others about your OCD or mental illness issues. Many of you have chosen to keep that information private, and I completely respect that. I would never, ever criticize or judge someone for keeping their illness private. There are several reasons why someone might do that, and for many years, those reasons were my own.

I thought now might be a good time to share a little bit more about myself with you, seeing as we've been friends for a year.

I love cats, especially my little Anna. We once had a pure white, teddy bear hamster named Pop. He died a few months after we got him. He was so cute, and his passing made us cry like little babies. Speaking of crying, I'm a complete softie. I cry at movies, and yes, even at commercials. I love action flicks, dramas, mysteries, and the occasional chick flick. I'm totally into rock music (I was a teen of the 80's!) and pop. My most recent favorite pop song is "Call Me Maybe," much to my husband's irritation. I've had a drum kit sitting in my extra bedroom for about 5 years. I'm finally (probably) going to start lessons this winter.

I also love, love, love to read. It opens up an entire new world for me. Travel is another favorite past-time which is, of course, limited by budget. When we do travel, we like to stay at B&Bs. I also like to cross-stitch, and I've recently started doing it again.

My favorite foods are spicy Thai and Mexican, though I will never refuse a really good, greasy, extra-cheesy slice of pizza. Dr. Pepper is absolutely my drink of choice (I even have a t-shirt that says "I'm A Pepper"). I hate vegetables and milk. Peeps are some of my favorite snacks. I even have Peeps socks.

I've already told you in previous posts about how I like to sing, act, direct, and work the audio board at church. I'm thinking about auditioning for community theater next spring. I also love to attend the theater. It's so much fun to see something performed live.

I'm a fan of crisp autumn days topped off with apple cider and a nice pumpkin or banana bread. I like to visit big cities, but suburbia is where I prefer to live. I like the mountains and the ocean too. Thankfully, my beautiful New England has both.

I love Jesus, my family, and my wonderful church friends who are like family. I get angry when I witness injustice. I laugh a lot and I try not to take myself too seriously. Little kids and animals make me smile. I'm afraid of bugs, but I'm not afraid of heights, and one of my most treasured memories is of riding in a hot air balloon with my extremely height phobic husband. My favorite color is purple, but pink is pretty great too. My beloved iPhone is never too far out of my reach. My favorite games are Words with Friends, Phrase Friends, Gardens of Time, and the wildly addicting Bejeweled.

Oh, and I have OCD. And I'm not going to hide it anymore.

My name is Monique Gagne. So very nice to meet you!

Hello!

34 comments:

  1. You showed your picture! So pretty! Thanks for sharing and starting this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristina, it has been totally my pleasure and it's been such a blessing to me personally. Thanks for your support.

      Delete
  2. I am sooooo happy to meet the pretty Monique! Thank you for sharing yourself with your friends here! Now I can put the lovely face with the words. Hugs to you my dear.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - come on by any time, JBR!!

      Boy, it makes me so mad - for some reason Blogger thinks you are a spammer and keeps putting your comments under spam so I have to "approve" it before it will post under comments. Sorry about that!! Wish I knew how to fix it.

      Delete
  3. Hello, beautiful Monique Gagne!!!!

    I don't know if I can transition to your real name since I'm so used to calling you Sunny :-)

    I love this post!

    Happy 1 year blog anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth. I can't believe it's already been 1 year! Hey, feel free to keep calling me Sunny if you like. I sure don't mind! : )

      Delete
  4. Hi, Monique Gagne! What a beautiful name for a beautiful woman!

    I loved reading about you and learning more about you. You are so much more than your OCD, as we all are, and you reminded us of that.

    Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Tina! Yes, we ARE so much more than our OCD. It's just a part of us, but it's NOT us.

      Happy anniversary back to you, my "twin!"

      Delete
  5. Hi Monique (aka Sunny)

    This is your mom, Nicky. I'm so proud and grateful for you, your determination, perseverance, hard work and your love and faith in our Lord. You are truly a blessing. To me you will always be 'my sweet, little baby girl'.

    Happy 1st anniversary, Love Mom
    "This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww..this brought tears to my eyes. What a lovely one year post. I am so happy call you my blogging friend. You are always so supportive to me and other bloggers and your sunny disposition is a great tribute to your Blogger name "Sunny." Thanks for being you and I am so happy to know you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so happy to know you too, Krystal Lynn! I have greatly appreciated all the incredible support I've gotten through all of you. It's really made a difference to my recovery and you (and all of our other bloggie friends) are such a blessing!!

      Delete
  7. I am happy to have finally seen you! You have taken a big step.

    Congrats on the blogiversary. There will be more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen (my fellow New Englander). Actually, I just spent the day in Boston. : )

      I've long admired the way that you've been just able to put your face and name out there from the beginning (like Tina and Krystal Lynn and several others). I'll admit, I did have to take a deep breath before I clicked the publish button!

      Delete
  8. I ♥ that you have the courage to share your picture and name with the world! Way to go. That is no small feat! :) I find that it's a relief to share who I really am - and I hope you'll feel the same, and not experience any regret regarding this decision.
    You are beautiful inside, and it's nice to finally see the beautiful outside that goes with. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet words, Shana! You're pretty courageous yourself. I don't think I will have any regrets over this. You are right - it does feel like a relief.

      Delete
  9. So lovely to meet you, Monique! I'm very glad that you have the courage to be so open! It takes time, but I love your new attitude and approach!!

    Hugs,
    Ally (aka Yaya)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs to you too, Ally. It did take me a while to get to this point. I had to be sure, because, well, there certainly is no going back, is there?

      Delete
  10. Nice to meet you too (for the second time :) )! Congrats on your anniversary. While I love the picture, the "real you" is even more beautiful. Oh, and you'll always be "Sunny" to me :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are so sweet. I so enjoyed meeting you this summer, Janet! Hey, I love the nickname that you all came up with for me, so feel free to keep using it!

      Delete
  11. This was utterly beautiful...I got warm feelings reading the whole thing and had to read it several times because it was so good. You are beautiful, Sunny Monique! And I'm honored to "meet" you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The honor is all mine, sweet Jean! Thank you so, so much for your encouragement.

      Delete
  12. Sunny! What a beautiful post. It's also a fantastic thing that you feel able to reveal so much about yourself on your blog. It makes me feel like part of a little community.

    Oh, and, that photo is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate! I too feel like I'm a part of a little community. I've been so blessed by getting to know all of you and I really feel like I am not alone in my OCD battle.

      The photo was taken by friends of mine who are an incredible husband and wife photography team. Their work is always stunning which is why I wanted them to take my picture!

      Delete
  13. Hello Monique :-). Lovely to find out more about you and that you love hot air balloon rides which is something we have in common-I love hot air balloon rides and would go up in one again in a flash. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! Where did you go up in a hot air balloon? I was lucky enough to go in one over the red rocks of Sedona, Arizona at dawn. It was breathtaking and something I will never forget!

      Smiles to you tool : )

      Delete
  14. Hi Monique! My daughter's fav colour is also purple. She's 6 and had a dark purple room. One of my dreams is to go up in an air balloon (not a tethered one!) I'm not crazy about heights but i love the idea of flying.

    Ps. your pic is so Sunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, a dark purple room - that must have looked really awesome!!

      The balloon ride was so smooth that it was really surreal and it wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it might be. Even my husband (who stood away from the edge of the basket!) ended up enjoying the ride. I could have stayed up there for hours.

      Thanks for stopping by, Karin!!

      Delete
  15. Nice to meet you! You're intro comes across just like your other posts-- gentle and warm. I'm struggling too much lately to even contemplate such a thing, but it is comforting to see it happening for others. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi RT. I'm sorry you are struggling so much right now. I know it can be so incredibly difficult and I feel for you. Please know that it does not mean that things will always be this way. For many, many years I was convinced I would never get better. Imagine my surprise when I did!?! I still have a lot of work to do, but I'm further along than I ever thought possible. It's possible for you too.

      I so appreciate your kind words. Hugs.

      Delete
  16. Happy 1 YEAR!!!
    What a great picture of you, so nice to meet you!

    Many of your 'get to me's" would be on some of my own 'get to me' list.
    I love cats, and the color purple too! ... I cry easily as well:)
    It's been so good over these past months to read your posts.
    Happy Thanks Giving Sunny!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Deanna!! Hope you have a wonderful celebration with your lovely family.

      Nice to know we have so much in common. : )

      Delete