Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Saturday, October 6, 2012

It Was A Horror, But I'm Not Talking About The Movie

My husband and I were having a lovely dinner and a movie date night. That was until about 3/4 through the movie. I had my small clutch style purse, sweatshirt, and my husband's baseball cap on my lap. All of a sudden, my purse fell onto the theater floor. I was a little grossed out, but I figured I would just pick it up and force myself to use it normally. My husband reached down, grabbed my purse, and handed it back to me. That's when I felt it - some sort of wetness on my purse. Oh, how I thought I would die! I noticed that my husband rubbed his hands together quickly, as if to dry off something wet on them. I immediately wanted to go wash my hands. I asked him if he should go wash his hands too. He told me that there was no reason for him to wash his hands. He also told me that I should just wipe my purse off with a napkin and go on like nothing happened. Uh huh. Right. I've made tremendous progress in fighting my OCD, but this was really pushing it. No way I was going to let this one go.

I spent the rest of the movie holding my purse (and now contaminated sweatshirt) on my lap in such a way that I would not get even more dirty and spread the filth. When the movie finished, I looked down at the floor, and noticed what appeared to be spilled soda, and my husband's baseball hat laying right on it. Ughhhh. I picked up the hat and carried all my gross items back to the car. Thankfully, on the way out of the theater, my husband did agree to stop in the restroom and wash his hands. When we got to the car, he opened up the car door for me (because there was no way I was going to touch the handle), and then we drove home. Of course, the hat and the sweatshirt went straight into the washing machine, as well as everything I was wearing. My hands also got a good scrubbing. I'm still trying to decide whether I should throw my little purse out or not.

I was not very successful battling OCD last night. I did notice one interesting thing, however. While watching the movie, I was really debating whether I should go wash my hands or not, because I didn't want to miss any parts of the film. In the past, if something gross had happened, I would have been so freaked out that I wouldn't even have noticed that there was a movie still playing. Hmmmm . . . I guess you could still call that progress.

18 comments:

  1. Yes, dear one I certainly would call that progress! Woo hoot! Safe hugs to you my friend. b/t/w, I would keep the purse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the hugs, JBR! I'll take all I can get. : )

      Thanks also for the good advice. I suspect that is exactly what my psychologist would have said too. I know you are right, but it is hard . . .

      Delete
  2. Sunny, I call that progress, so good for you for staying at least somewhat involved in the movie!

    I think you handled the whole episode well. I think even people without OCD would wash the sweatshirt and hat if they had come into contact with spilled soda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. I actually did not feel like I handled it too well. In fact, I felt like I handled like I would have in the days before CBT. But, I guess that is not really true - because in the past I would have been crying and probably would have asked my hubby to take me home right away.

      Delete
  3. I'd definitely call that success! OCD winning one part of an issue doesn't mean you didn't win another part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, sorry you had that "bump" on your date night. It's tough to deal with in those moments when you're having a nice time. But I agree with the other comments-- not leaving or getting completely engrossed in the "issue" seems like a good outcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's true RT. You're just minding your own business, then all of a sudden a trigger comes and hits you and you're like, "Ah now what do I do!!?" But the outcome was better than it could have been. Thanks for that reminder.

      Delete
  5. Movie theaters are pretty grimy, that's for sure. The fact that you haven't yet thrown the purse out is a step in the right direction! :) If I were in that situation, I would be having the same fears you are. Be strong! :) Since I'm not in the situation this time, I'll be the cheerleader, okay? Now, go hug that purse! Go Sunny, Go Sunny, Go - Go - Go Sunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Shana - you are too funny! Cheerleaders are always welcome here! : ) It does indeed make it harder to think about throwing it out with that kind of encouragement. he he

      Delete
  6. I agree, anybody would wash something that got wet by spilled soda. The fact that you didn't get up and leave the movie to wash your hands was a huge step..even if you had anxiety about it, you sat with it, which is what we are told to do by the experts, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Krystal Lynn, I sat with it, but only until I got home!!

      Delete
  7. Ohhh I would have freaked out if this had been me and I'd have either washed the purse (it is it washable) or thrown it out. You are a much better fighter of OCD than I am :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I bet we are both just good in different ways at fighting OCD. Unfortunately, it is not really washable (leather). I could wipe it with a Lysol wipe, but I don't know.

      Delete
  8. I agree with all the other comments....you did really well with it, Sunny. I'm guessing there was a time when you probably wouldn't even have gone into that movie theater, right? I think I would have handled the situation very similarly to the way you did, and I don't have OCD. But don't throw out the purse! Wipe it down and get on with your life (I know, easy for me to say :) ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always so encouraging, Janet. Thank you. Believe it or not, I love movies so much that I never stopped going to the theater. BUT a lot of the time I would sit there and just be an anxious mess, unable to really enjoy the film at times. Glad those days are mostly over!

      Delete
  9. Great job!! Staying til the end of the movie showed ocd who was boss! Don't throw the purse out if you can just wipe it off- vinegar is a non-toxic cleaner but a lysol wipe works well too (except i'd then have to wipe off the bleach afterwards,lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I feel like that too about Lysol wipes, Karin. I like that they disinfect, but then I worry about the chemical residue as well. Stuck between a rock and a hard place sometimes.

      Thank you for your sweet support!

      Delete