Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Concluding OCD Awareness Week

What an exciting week! I had the privilege of attending two different worship conferences this week. These conferences are an opportunity for those involved in church music and technical ministries to learn from professional (mostly Christian artists and technicians, though occasionally some are not) musicians and technical experts. It's a great time of learning and connecting with other believers.

Often, the musicians who perform at the main worship sessions are well known artists. At the second conference this week, the featured artist was Paul Baloche. I love Paul's music as he is an extremely gifted songwriter. Our church uses a lot of his music during worship time, so when Paul led worship I felt like I was really at home. I was especially joyful when Paul led us in "Today Is The Day" (one of my all time favorite songs).

As OCD Awareness Week was concluding, I thought it would be appropriate to wear my awareness t-shirt at the conference yesterday. I must admit that I was a little nervous about wearing it, but honestly, the thought of bringing a little attention to OCD (and to my brave fellow OCD sufferers) really seemed worth any minor risk of awkwardness for me. I knew I made the right decision when I got stopped by an employee at the restaurant where my group had breakfast.

The employee noticed the "crafty" tools depicted on the front of my shirt and she asked me if I was an artist. I turned around and showed her the back of my shirt. I said that I was wearing it for OCD Awareness Week and I explained a little bit to her about how there is now effective treatment available. I also told her about the IOCDF. She seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say and thanked me for sharing the information. Wow. That rocked. I wore that shirt proudly for the rest of the day, just hoping that someone else would notice it and realize that help is out there.

19 comments:

  1. Sunny, YOU rock for wearing the T-shirt and raising awareness as you went about your day! Thank you! I'm glad you had a good time at the conferences, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I had an awesome time, Tina! It really re-energized me.

      Thank you for your kind words. : )

      Delete
  2. This is amazing! I am so proud of you for putting yourself out there and wearing the shirt! You are an inspiration!! People might not have come up to you, but believe me lots of people must have noticed. Good for you!!!

    Hugs,
    Yaya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yaya! That's exactly what I was hoping - that even if someone didn't say anything, that they would have noticed the IOCDF logo on the back so they could go online and check it out.

      Hugs back at ya!

      Delete
  3. That is really cool Sunny. One of these days I am going to get one of those shirts. Oh, by the way, I did the looping thing you suggested and even on the second time it was less stressful. I actually leaned up on the washer front and did not change my shirt. I appreciated your advice to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krystal Lynn - you just made my week! I cannot tell you how incredibly PROUD I am of you - I know that was extremely difficult - but wow, wow, wow. It is amazing how the ERPs work, isn't it? I know I did not believe it in the beginning, but after doing it a while, my psychologist definitely made a believer out of me. I am so happy to hear that it worked for you. I'm sending you a gigantic victory bear hug!

      Delete
  4. Way to go, Sunny! You educated at least one person by wearing that T shirt, and maybe she'll relay your conversation to others, and before you know it, the whole world will know there is treatment for OCD because of you :)
    Okay, I may be exaggerating a bit, but it could happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha, Janet! I like the way you exaggerate! We need to think big. he he Thanks for your support.

      Delete
  5. Good for you girl! If you made a difference for just one person, then you did your job! Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is brilliant Sunny. The thing is there will have been people perhaps too shy or not brave enough to ask but on seeing your t-shirt info they would have taken note. Those people will have been helped by you through you wearing your t-shirt. Good for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! That is exactly what I was hoping. It's scary to talk about this stuff but it's not scary to quietly read about it!

      Delete
  7. Hi Sunny, I nominated you for blog awards, so please come by my blog to check it out if you so wish :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're so sweet! Thank you so much for thinking of me. : )

      Delete
  8. I just stumbled upon your blog and I love it! I feel like I can definitely relate to this post. I was recently diagnosed with Lyme Disease after about 8 years of being sick and getting misdiagnoses. Since I had never heard of it before (TX gal), obviously, awareness is needed. So my family and I had tshirts made that said Lyme Disease Awareness and the first time we wore them out in public, I was sooo nervous, but now I love to wear it, because I get so many questions! Like a walking advertisement ;) Thanks for sharing! Blessings & prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chelsea! I'm so sorry for how you are suffering. I live in NH and Lyme Disease is not uncommon. I personally know at least two people who have been inflicted, one very severely. It is a terrible illness. I think it's awesome that you are trying to raise awareness. Who knows how much more quickly people will realize what they have and get treatment sooner because of what you are doing?!

      I'm so glad you "stumbled" upon my blog. Please come back and visit any time. Best wishes to you as you recover.

      Delete