Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Monday, September 10, 2012

World Suicide Prevention Day




Today is World Suicide Prevention Day. As someone who has struggled in the past with bone crushing depression, I am keen on spreading the news about this day of awareness.

Depression has been a part of my life off and on since I was a teenager. However, there were two time periods when I became so overwrought that death appeared to be a welcome relief. The first time was in the Fall of 1996, when I became officially diagnosed with OCD. I felt like an incredible failure as a human being. I was absolutely mortified that I needed to (gasp!) take "psychiatric medication." I thought I was one of the biggest losers in the world. It took several months, but I finally regained some equilibrium in my life, and I started to accept the fact that I had a mental illness. I continued to live with a sort of low grade depression, but the acute crisis had passed.

The second, and more dangerous time period, was in the Fall of 2009. I had just begun CBT/ERP. At first, when beginning this therapy, it is not unusual for OCD to get temporarily worse. This makes sense, because in therapy the patient no longer avoids everything that he or she has been avoiding for so long. Indeed, my illness got worse. However, I started to make some progress with ERP. Then, I had an episode where instead of making forward progress, I went several steps backward. Again, that is not unusual in treatment, but to me, it felt like the end of the world. At that point, I became despondent and lost all hope of recovery. I was just sure that I would spend the rest of my life in OCD torment and that there would never be a way out of my living hell.

I began to fantasize about dying all the time. I was not actively suicidal, for I never made any attempts. I did believe that suicide was wrong, and that I would hurt my God, my family, and my friends if I chose to follow that path. However, I think you could say I was passively suicidal. I asked God to take me. I hoped all the time that I would get in an accident, or get sick and die. Just breathing was agony. One of the big mistakes I made was that I never told anyone, including my psychologist, just how badly I was doing. I was embarrassed and I thought people would think I was being overly dramatic. Even though at that point, I thought that CBT/ERP would not work for me, for some reason I continued to attend therapy. I think it was because I scared myself. I didn't know what the future held for me and deep down, I knew that I was very sick.

My psychologist and my family continued to push me forward in treatment. Somehow, someway, I started to make a little progress again. Then, on December 17, 2009, (yes, I remember the day) I walked out of a mildly successful therapy appointment with my husband, and I noticed that the sun came out. It was literally just like that. All of a sudden, there was color in the world again. I regained just a little tiny inkling of hope. It was enough for me to grasp onto and to begin to look at the future again. It took several more months of CBT/ERP to really get a handle on the deep depression. Mild depression still pursues me to this day, but it no longer has a stranglehold on my life. I have recovered a tremendous amount of my health from OCD, and I have so many joyful days now that I can hardly believe this is my life.

I share this story because I want you to know that you are not alone if you have ever struggled with horrible depression and suicidal thoughts. Depression is a serious illness and it is not to be taken lightly. If you are fighting suicidal thoughts, you need to get help. Today. Right now. On the top right hand side of my blog, there is a button that you can press, and it will send you to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline website. Please, don't suffer in silence! There is nothing to be ashamed of.

If you feel like things will never get better, I am pleased to tell you that it is not so! I remember feeling so convinced that my life would never improve and that things would never change. Thankfully, I was wrong. I'm glad I never followed through with my fantasies. I am grateful to be alive. I'm grateful to watch the leaves changing color. I'm grateful that I got to enjoy my frozen pumpkin latte yesterday. I'm grateful I got to hug my kitty last night. I'm grateful that I get to connect with wonderful people like you today.

It is important to remember that how you feel today and how your life looks today, is different than how you will feel or how your life will look tomorrow, or next month, or next year. There is a reason God has put you on this earth. His work in your life is not done yet. You are meant to be here and you have a purpose. You matter. There is help available. Please, don't be afraid. Reach out and get help. There is hope for you.

13 comments:

  1. Oh Sunny thank you so much for sharing this part of your life. I am greatly blessed to read it. I have stuggled to put into words about depression when someone asks, especially to someone who has not suffered the same illness as me. I too carry a lower grade of depression with me, it seems to just go with me where ever I go. And like you, I have survived many acute and very severe times in this illness when I've intertained the idea of suicide -I don't believe that is the answer but when the illness is at its peak that really does seem the only option to relief the pain of mental torment, emotional battle, and yes as you said -the bone crushing pain. I am SO thankful for the medicines I take! Perhaps if it weren't there for me to take I would have died long ago, not because of suicide -but through malnutrion and other physical ailments.

    I carry the tourch of LIGHT you!! (what a wonder moment you had with the sunlight that day.)
    blessings, Deanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your very kind comments, Deanna. I am sad to hear that depression has been such a burden for you too. Yes, it is hard to describe, especially to someone that has not experienced it. I agree with you - when the illness is at it's peak, sometimes it is hard to think clearly and to see that suicide is not the answer. That is why I think it's so important for awareness days like this. People who are suffering need to hear that there is another way out of the pain. They need to know that others care and understand and that there is treatment.

      Delete
  2. Sunny, thank you so much for sharing your story and reminding us of life. I have had many times when I wanted to die, when I prayed for God to let me die. It's an awful feeling and an awful place to be. Thank you for providing an example of hope. May others who are feeling lost gain a measure of comfort from your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is my desire, Tina, that someone would read this and feel a little comfort and hope! I am sorry you've experienced this pain as well. I sure understand what you mean about it being an awful place to be. Ugh. I hope I never go back there again. But you know, if I do ever end up back there again, I believe I have the tools to work through it now. I also know that feeling like that does not last forever. I have my own previous life experience as proof.

      Delete
  3. Appreciate you sharing the info here and your experiences. I too struggle with thoughts of death and dying. But my God is Bigger! I have had two close family members commit suicide. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. How awful.

      Oh, but you are so, so right - our God is so much bigger than even our worst pain!! I have to work hard to remember that sometimes. But what an important truth to be aware of. Thank you for that reminder. Blessings to you as well.

      Delete
  4. Wow. Thank you Sunny, for sharing your story, and giving hope to those who need it today. No doubt you have helped many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet encouragement, Janet. So appreciated.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing your story and giving us hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's selfish, but I benefit from sharing too, Elizabeth! Sometimes, I find it's good for me to go back and think about my experiences and I get to see the big picture once some time has passed.

      Delete
  6. Sunny, this is such a powerful message you share today. Thank you for being brave and sharing your experience and giving hope. For sharing about suicide prevention-so important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit I was a little nervous about writing about this. Part of that is because some family members read my blog and I was worried about how they would take this. There is something about putting it in writing that makes it seem so much more real. But you know, these are real issues that real people deal with all the time. If I didn't learn anything else in CBT, it was that I have to be real, both with myself and with others.

      Thank you so much for your support.

      Delete