Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Free Online Help For OCD

Today, I received a Facebook update from the International OCD Foundation informing the public that there is a research study involving an online OCD treatment program. This online program is called BT Steps. The point of the study is to determine if patients do better with BT Steps either by itself, or with additional help (such as with a therapist). I'm assuming that the additional help would be given by phone - but I do not know this for sure. There is no cost, and in fact, according to the IOCDF website, those who are part of the study may even get up to $150. If you cannot afford treatment, or if there are no qualified therapists in your area, this may be an opportunity for you to receive some help.

At the IOCDF conference in July, I attended a workshop that was led by the company that created BT Steps. It did appear to me that this online program could have some good possibilities for treatment. I asked the company representatives when the program would be available to the general public, and they estimated that it might be ready sometime in early 2014.

I don't know how many people they need for this research study, but if you are interested, you may want to inquire about it sooner rather than later. Below, I've linked to a YouTube video that was posted by the creators of BT Steps. It explains how the program works. I do not know if the online program in the research study will be exactly like the one in the YouTube video, but the video should at least give you some idea of how BT Steps will most likely work.



8 comments:

  1. Interesting. I don't think the online/app approach to ERP is really for me, but I'm glad to see more options out there for people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Ann, I don't think it's for me either. In my case, I'm just not disciplined enough to push myself through something like this. I know I would never follow through. But I think it's a unique way for someone who maybe has no other opportunities for treatment. Plus I love that researchers keep working on this stuff. Who knows what else they will come up with?

      Delete
  2. I agree it's great to have different options for treatment, especially if money and/or accessibility are issues. Thanks for spreading the word, Sunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty excited when I saw this was available, Janet. Over and over again, I've heard from people that there are no experts in their area. Obviously, this isn't a perfect substitute for having an expert to meet with weekly, but it is something.

      Delete