Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A Powerful Film

A blogger that I really respect, Janet Singer, over at OCD Talk, recently brought a very powerful documentary to my attention. Twenty-three minutes long, and titled Heroes Get Remembered but Legends Never Die, it features the story of John Cleaver Kelly, a young man who eventually took his life after a painful struggle with OCD. Janet recommends watching this film "if you think OCD is a cute, quirky, trendy disorder." I can personally attest that OCD is neither cute, quirky, nor trendy. It is raw, brutal, terrorizing, and at its worst, completely disabling. My heart breaks for the Kelly family. I admire them for allowing this film to be made in order to bring more attention to a cruel mental illness.

7 comments:

  1. Sunny, I watched the film and found it heartbreaking and life affirming at the same time. I agree that it should be watched. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was life affirming - the way that his friends rallied around the family and have tried to honor his memory with this film, and the annual ball game. That must bring some measure of comfort to John's family.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for "passing the film around," Sunny, so that more and more people will watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. You can actually access the documentary if you hit the link in my post above. It will bring you to Janet Singer's blog, and she has it embedded in her post.

      Delete
    2. Actually I just checked Janet's post. If you click on the name of the documentary in her post it will bring you to the video.

      Delete