Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Today Is The Day


This is one of my favorite worship songs - "Today is the Day" (Baloche/Brewster), performed by Lincoln Brewster and his band. Whenever I get the opportunity to sing backup vocals for this song at church I literally have a hard time not jumping out of my skin, because it's such a great song to me for so many reasons.
I'm casting my cares aside; I'm leaving my past behind;
I'm setting my heart and mind on You, Jesus;
I'm reaching my hand to Yours, believing there's so much more;
knowing that all You have in store for me is good, is good.

Chorus:
Today is the day You have made; I will rejoice and be glad in it;
today is the day You have made, I will rejoice and be glad in it,
I won't worry about tomorrow, I'm trustin' in what You say;
today is the day; today is the day. 
I'm putting my fears aside; I'm leaving my doubts behind;
I'm giving my hopes and dreams to You, Jesus;
I'm reaching my hand to Yours, believing there's so much more;
knowing that all You have in store for me is good, it's good.

Chorus

Bridge:
I will stand upon Your truth, (I will stand upon Your truth),
all my days I'll live for You, (all my days I'll live for You).
I will stand upon Your truth, (I will stand upon Your truth),
all my days I'll live for You, (all my days I'll live).

Chorus

I won't worry about tomorrow; I'm giving You my fears and sorrows;
where You lead me, I will follow;
I'm trustin' in what You say, today is the day; today is the day.
As someone who struggles with uncontrollable anxiety and doubt, these lyrics are very meaningful and speak directly to me. The best part, is that since I've gone through treatment (CBT/ERP), and I have worked on my relationship with the Lord, I can sing these lyrics with joyful abandonment knowing that they really do apply to me now. I'm choosing to trust in what God says, because I believe that He is good and what He has in store for me is good - even if I can't see that right now.

Hope you enjoy the song!

10 comments:

  1. What a great song! Thank you for sharing it. Your faith and your love of God just shine through your words, Sunny. I have never met you in person, but I can imagine you singing this song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it, Tina! Who says church can't be fun, right?

      Delete
  2. I love this song. We sang this all the time at our last church and it just made me so happy. Our church now has very traditional hymns and we are trying to get them to incorporate some contemporary music into the service..I hope they are willing to di a blend. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear the song brought back some good memories for you, Krystal Lynn. There's certainly nothing wrong with hymns, but I must admit I'm more into contemporary music so I'm grateful that is what makes up the bulk of our worship music.

      Delete
  3. Lovely song, and something I needed to hear today. Trusting that God has something good for us even if we cannot see it at the moment can be the hardest thing to do. I am so glad you are in a place where you can do that. Sometimes we just have to remember that God is a God of love and weeps when we weep. However if God could move up his timetable for me I would be very appreciative :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad the song spoke to you!!

      Yes, I am in a place where I can really trust God now, but I would be lying if I said I was always in this place. It was a hard fought battle to get here. There was a time when everything I saw seemed to be filled with pain and I was just so overwhelmed by OCD and depression that I even doubted God's goodness (I am ashamed to say). But it's true. Can't deny it. Thankfully the Lord is gracious and forgiving. He has brought a lot of healing to my life and I'm eternally grateful for this. I realize now that He was working all along, I just couldn't see it. I learned some very valuable lessons while I was stumbling around in the dark. I know what you mean about wishing the time table would be moved up though!! I'm sure there will be other times of pain in my future, and the challenge will be to remember all of this stuff then (a LOT easier said than done).

      I pray that God brings you peace, and comfort in knowing that what He has in store for you is oh so good!

      Delete
  4. I found your blog on Behind the Smile and am now following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristina! I really appreciate it. Welcome, and hope to hear from you again. : )

      Delete
  5. Oh how I really LOVE my church! And I love the contemporary music worship too! It seems to be the same at your church with song choices.
    I get so excited like you too when it comes to stuff like this, especially in music time!
    I love the organized part -the whole church is congregrated with the same idea of doing: singing and worshiping God in this way. For me being that the whole church is 'loud' -leaving no room for my mind to really wonder, and all is engaged in the activity -in this setting, especially with something I love: music -I seem to be busy with this 'thing' with all others and feel that anxiety can take a break, and I can sing in thankfulness in greatfulness to our Lord knowing that He is always in the business of saving me from this illness.

    **I hope I made some sense, tee hee.
    ...and I know that there are times when I've been quiet through song time at church when the illness is at greater peaks. But, most the time- I am so greatful to sing to our Lord!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often experienced the same thing when my anxiety was at its peak a few years ago - the anxiety would just sort of disappear during worship time. I could never really explain it, but I sure was grateful for it.

      I'm glad music has been a solace for you too, Deanna. It has been such a gift to me.

      Delete