Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Unintentional ERPs

We've been having problems with our garage door opener not working properly. Yesterday, the repairman came and fixed it. The only issue is that he touched our garage door opener with very dirty (visibly dirty) hands. I have been avoiding touching it since then. When my husband found out about it this afternoon, he touched it, then rubbed his hands on his face, and then put his hand on my shoulder. I have since touched it too. It didn't kill me.

This afternoon we did a little shopping. When we pulled into a parking lot, we noticed that there were several men gathered around an open sewer cover, doing some sort of work. I, of course, got instantly anxious about this, and mentioned that I was concerned that something would blow out of the sewer and all over our car. My husband mentioned that it was too bad there were no closer parking spaces next to the open sewer, because he would have moved our car over there. He did do the next best thing, however. When we came out of the store, he put his arm around my shoulder and led me next to the men and the open sewer. We must have looked pretty funny, because my husband was slightly pushing me next to the sewer and I was slightly pushing him back to get away from the sewer.

Also, there was water around the parking lot close to the sewer and we had to walk near it to get to our car. Of course, I was wearing flip-flops. In the end, we walked by, nothing shot out at us, and we got in our car and drove home. I'm starting to think that my hubby is taking this CBT coaching thing a little too seriously. : )

16 comments:

  1. He sounds like my husband. He came after me the other day with a so called dirty hand and had me laughing so hard. I think if I really freaked out he'd stop, I know he'd never do anything mean or to taunt me. So proud of you! I always wonder what I would do if I was married to a guy who works on sewers or collects garbage..I feel like I couldn't handle it but maybe I'd be so exposed I would be ok. I almost got hit by a garbage truck once and afterwards I wondered how I would have exchanged insurance info with him because I couldn't have taken anything from him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm sure glad you didn't get hit by a garbage truck, Krystal Lynn! That would have hurt. ha ha And yes, I would have had a hard time exchanging info with the driver too. My foot could have been dangling off of my leg, and I'd be thinking about the dirty truck.

      Yeah, my hubby and I are often sort of laughing when we do these exposures together. You kind of have to, because if you didn't, you'd be freaking out. I think my husband would also be more gentle with the exposures if he realized I was having a very hard time with it.

      Delete
  2. You did great, Sunny! Your husband definitely seems to "get" you, and it sounds like you two make a great team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina! He does really "get" it, especially after having gone to several therapy sessions with me. It does really make it easier to fight this as a team. He feels good because he's helping me, and I feel good because I'm making progress.

      Delete
  3. It's great that you are working as a team on this. I'm sure it's hard, but you'll make great progress, too! I'd love to have a partner that I could share OCD with in a productive (if scary) way. As it is, I just worry about freaking prospective boyfriends out when they find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great, thanks, Ann! You know, if you find the right guy, he won't freak out about it. He'll see you for the intelligent, strong, and wonderful woman you are. I think some of the neatest people are those with OCD. Yes, we can be quirky, but definitely in a cool, fun way too. Any guy would be lucky to be in your company.

      Delete
  4. Your husband is a gem! But...sometimes you want to put your gems back in the jewelry box. ;-) Good for you getting through these challenges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha, Jean! That's so funny. I just told my husband about this and he laughed. Yes, there ARE times when I'd like my gem to just stay quietly in the box. But I know that is not what's best for me or for him. So, we just try to take each challenge every day as it comes. I definitely could have done without the sewer challenge though. : )

      Delete
  5. What a sweet and funny story. :) Your husband is awesome!! I love that he understands you and the OCD so well. Congrats on making it through 2 big exposures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! I am very thankful to be married to someone who really cares. That sewage exposure was pretty tough. Not looking forward to doing that ever again.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I wouldn't exactly call myself brave, Elizabeth! ha ha More like I'm married to someone who "encourages" me to stop avoiding.

      Delete
  7. This is new to me about ERPs and such. Great thing you have a tab on the acronyms!!
    I wonder how squeamish I may be at nearing close to a sewer purposefully. Great Job!! ...and hopefully there will never be a sewer for opportunity ERP.

    At my home we have a septic tank for our water disposal. I felt SSOOOOOoooo bad for my husband one time when it came time for needing a repair. (Him and our son had to do the labor)

    Sounds like you have been blessed with an amazing husband who helps you through the hard moments, and cheers you on! It takes amazing men to be husband's to wives who suffer any kind of mental illness. The Lord is good! I actually wrote about my husband in my most recent post:)

    Thanks for the comment at my blog, ...not sure if you knew that I left a reply.

    Thanks, and looking forward to being 'bloggy'friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back, Deanna! Yes, I look forward to being bloggy friends too. : )

      Thanks for your encouragement. Beating back OCD is a full-time occupation.

      I agree, it takes a strong, compassionate spouse to be in a marriage touched by mental illness.

      No, I did not know you left a comment - I will go read it right now! Thanks.

      Delete
  8. What a nice glimpse into your and your husband's "teamwork." He is obviously a wonderful "coach" and "support system" and you both have one of the most important things to have when dealing with OCD......a sense of humor! Love the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet! Yes, a sense of humor is a must in these situations. I mean, let's face it, a lot of the stuff we do because of OCD and the stuff we do because we're trying to overcome OCD does look pretty ridiculous! Laughter makes ERPs so much easier to deal with, both for myself and for him.

      Delete