Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Off To The 19th Annual International OCD Foundation Conference

Tomorrow morning, we're headed off bright and early to the Windy City to enjoy a weekend of connecting with those who struggle with OCD, their families and friends, and many wonderful researchers, doctors, and therapists who treat this mental illness. I believe there is strength in numbers, and the annual conference is a great way to meet others who are like minded in fighting the difficulties of living with this terrible anxiety disorder. It is also a chance for supportive loved ones, like my husband, to learn more about the nature of OCD and current cutting edge treatment.

This is not my first conference, as I attended a previous conference in D.C., in July of 2010. However, this will be my husband's first conference. Several weeks ago, my husband confessed to me that he wondered if the conference would begin with a musical dance number, with the singers doing a cover song and replacing the words of Lady Gaga's hit, from "I'm on the edge . . . of glory" to "I'm on the edge . . . of worry." I, of course, had to remind him that this was not the Off, Off Broadway show, "Neuroses." Oh, brother. Silly, silly man.

Musical dance numbers notwithstanding, I'm really looking forward to attending many different workshops, and sharing any new-found knowledge with you through this blog. My husband has sweetly offered to be my "secretary," so he will take notes at the workshops that I am not able to attend. I can't wait to meet the many medical professionals who have dedicated their working lives to advancing the treatment of OCD and the OCD spectrum disorders. I'm also excited about meeting some of the most courageous and brave people I've ever had the privilege of knowing - other OCD sufferers.

14 comments:

  1. Now I'll be disappointed if the conference doesn't start with a song and dance routine :). Your husband is too funny. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm bummed about not having a dance number now too. ha ha Just sent you an e-mail about hopefully being able to connect while we are there!

      Delete
  2. Have a wonderful time, and I'll look forward to what you have to say. Wish I could be there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure wish you were coming too, Tina! I would absolutely love to meet you. Maybe next year? : )

      Delete
  3. I was looking over all the info on the conference and came across a video of the doctor that does the 2 day virtual camping trip during the conference evenings. He takes you out and does VERY intense exposures. I kinda freaked, but I think that I would want to do it. Have fun! We will be coming next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Cara, that man is one of my favorite doctors, Jonathan Grayson. He has a practice in Pennsylvania. I'm sure he must have a high success rate! I talked with him at the last conference I attended. Very nice man.

      Delete
  4. Oh have a wonderful time and tell us all about it when you get back! I need to go to one of these some summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, I will do my best to have a good time!

      Delete
  5. I hope you have a great time, and are filled with insight and hope as you press on! Such a wonderful comfort it has to be that your husband gets to come along this time :)
    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deanna! It is a blessing to have hubby with me. And YES, this is a place of hope!

      Delete
  6. I am so bummed, I wish I had known about this sooner. Chicago is about a 3 hr. drive from where I live so it would have been so easy for me to go and I would have loved to have met you and your husband. My daughter took vacation and is coming to visit Friday for a week (and bringing our grandson) so I can't skip out on that. I am going to keep an eye on the plans for next years and will try to make it. Have fun and I can't wait to hear back from all you who get to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is a bummer! In 2008 they had the conference in Boston, and I didn't want to deal with my OCD then, so I didn't bother to go. Kicking myself now!

      Delete