Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Friday, July 27, 2012

First Day In Chicago

We had a pretty good day. We had a great lunch, then walked the Magnificent Mile. It was really hot and humid though. Nighttime was when it got rough for me.

We decided to go to the movies. Unfortunately, it was very dark when we chose our seats. What I didn't realize was that the material on my seat was completely ripped off, and I was sitting on exposed cushion. Part way through the movie, I could tell something was wrong with my seat. I was very concerned about contamination and bed bugs. I felt itchy through the whole movie, and I kept my feet elevated from the floor because I was just sure I could feel something moving around down there. I know it was all in my head. It's been a while since I felt this amped up from anxiety.

The other thing that made it hard was that we went to go see the Batman movie. Every time the theater door opened it made me really jumpy, because I kept thinking about what happened to those poor people in Colorado. Sigh. I never want to let some criminal make me change the way I live, so I'm still glad I went. I just wish it had not bothered me.

The final thing was when I returned to my room this evening, only to find that I lost the key to my luggage lock. Thankfully the Engineering Department had giant bolt cutters, so a nice hotel employee helped me break the lock open.

Every time I start thinking that OCD really isn't that much of a problem for me anymore, well, life teaches me a little lesson. I'm glad I'm here at the conference. I guess I still really need it.

4 comments:

  1. You are brave to even go see Batman! I don't see myself going in a movie theater anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I did not feel too brave! In fact, I felt kind of stupid for being so afraid. I think I need to back to the movies to work through it.

      Delete
  2. Sunny, the movie situation sounded hard, but you got through it. You recognized that it was in your head and stayed where you were. It would have been easy to leave.

    I agree that OCD has a way of reminding us that it's still there. But you have the tools to fight it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support, Tina. You're right, I do have the tools.

      Well, I couldn't leave the movie because my hubby was there. Good thing too, because I probably would have left!

      Delete