Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Another Update

As much as I enjoyed the 2010 conference, I must say that I like this one even better. Maybe I'm just in a better frame of mind. Well, ok, I know I am.

I'm learning quite a bit more than I expected to, which is a great surprise. Over the years I've read so much about OCD that I thought I had a pretty good understanding of it. Guess I didn't know as much as I thought I did. That will teach me!

This morning we were treated to a great keynote speech by Elizabeth Woolcock. Her story proves that one can be utterly disabled and tortured by OCD, and yet it is possible to return to a healthy, fulfilling, and productive life. She is a very inspiring woman.

For those of you who may be interested, I heard a rumor that some of the slides from the different workshops will be put on the International OCD Foundation's website. I have a link to the IOCDF on the right under online resources. You may want to check this over the next several days or weeks.

Until we meet again!

8 comments:

  1. I'm a firm believer that there's always something new to learn. I have a lot to learn about OCD, too! Thanks for the tip on the slides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Tina. I hope they do indeed put those slides up. I think they may still be helpful, even if someone didn't attend the session.

      I am really surprised at how much new info I got. I expected some, but not this much. I'm really glad, because it does make the trip worth the time and money for me.

      Delete
  2. I actually learned a lot today... not just from the actual sessions, but from talking with a high school girl whose brother has OCD. She was able to help me see more how OCD affects the family. We had a great talk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad to hear that, Brooke! I think that is part of the attraction to this conference - the chance to meet others who have been affected by OCD - not just sufferers, but loved ones too. Plus, I also like hearing from the various researchers and therapists about their experiences from "that side of the couch" if you know what I mean! OK, we don't use couches any more, but wouldn't that be fun? "Now tell me about your childhood." ha ha ha

      Delete
  3. I'm glad slides will be available! I wish the talks would also be available as Mp3s or videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree Elizabeth! But I guess if everything was online, no one would come to the conference. ha ha

      Delete
    2. Ha! you are so right! I sure wouldn't go if they put it online!

      Delete