Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Oh My, What A Week!

My little fur-ball got her biopsy last Tuesday. Initially, she seemed to tolerate the procedure quite well. However, two days later she kept visiting her litter box, over and over, which is unusual for her. The next thing I knew, there was blood everywhere. Large amounts of it. It was really scary. I called my husband and he came home from work to drive us to the veterinarian as I was too upset to drive. We discovered that she had a "raging urinary tract infection," to quote my vet. It came on very suddenly, without any prior noticeable symptoms. We started her on antibiotics and this stopped the bleeding in less than 24 hours, but it did not immediately stop the excessive urination.

This whole incident ended up being extremely taxing for me, as it challenged all of my contamination issues. She urinated so much blood on the carpet underneath my kitchen table that I ended up having to throw it away. For days, she urinated all over the house. I tried to keep up with cleaning it, but it was impossible. The house smelled terrible throughout this time period as well. One night, she just wouldn't stop. It was late and I couldn't deal with it anymore. So I literally just walked away. I went upstairs, closed my bedroom door, and went to sleep. I figured I would deal with it all in the morning. You know what? It worked. I got up in the morning and cleaned whatever new 'presents' she left for me. It ended up being fine.

She has finally started urinating normally in her litter box again. The house smells alright today. However, she's vomiting all over the place now. Is it OK if I scream? Last night, I decided to give all the floors a good washing, just to make sure I got all the spots. Not compulsive washing, just a normal, one time, type of washing. While I was on my hands and knees cleaning the hardwood floor in the living room, I turned around and noticed that Anna was vomiting in the hallway. This is starting to get comical. OK, not really. We believe it is the antibiotics, so the vet told me to give her a break from the medicine for about 36 hours to let her tummy calm down. Poor baby.

In any case, it's been a difficult week, but I've made it so far. Yes, my anxiety was ramped up, but not as much as you would think. (Agh, she just threw up while I was typing this!) I'm trying to be mindful, and not let my emotions take control. I'm not thinking about tomorrow, or even later today. It's too overwhelming that way. Slowly but surely, we're making it through this, Anna and I.

I do, however, have really good news. Anna's biopsy came back negative! It was just a cyst, so she does not have cancer! What a great surprise. Thank you all for your well wishes and prayers. It is much appreciated.

Another good note, I just found out that my recent mammogram also came back negative. Ladies, if you're 40 and over, time to schedule those mammograms. If you're under 40, it's recommended to get one mammogram that can be used as a baseline for later. Even if you don't want to do it for yourself, do it for the people who love you. (That's the only reason I did it!)

17 comments:

  1. What a crappy week!!! Sounds like you coped really well though. Good for you!!! Glad that your you and your cat are OK!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, POC! Yep, that pretty much describes my week. ha ha

      It was difficult at times, but yes, overall I did manage to cope (and continue to) cope with it. In fact, my little fluffball is resting comfortably in my lap as I type this. : )

      Getting good news also sure helps with the whole coping thing too.

      Delete
  2. Sunny, I am so happy that it is not cancer!!!!!! :-)

    Wa used to get UTIs. The vet would give her a shot of an antibiotic and something like a steroid or pain med that would knock out the symptoms almost like magic. It was so difficult to give her medication orally, we just got the shot.

    When she was very sick, she was peeing and pooping outside the litterbox. She couldn't get into even our very low "walk in" litterbox. I know the feeling--you just put your head down and deal with it.

    I hope she feels better soon. I think you've done great through all this. I love how you said you tried to stay mindful and not let the emotions take over. I will have to try to think of it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina! Thanks for the prayers, really appreciate it. Yes, I think she's beautiful too, but I might be biased. : )

      You just reminded me about that shot antibiotic. We've actually done that in the past, I don't know why I didn't think of it this time. I may call my vet and see if we can do that instead. It certainly doesn't seem to upset her tummy the same way as the liquid stuff.

      You're right - just put your head down and move forward. Good way of putting it.

      Delete
  3. Boots had a urinary blockage that caused him to pee blood in strange places. It was horrible. My baby was not doing well. He peed in cool places that were cooling and he yowled quite a bit,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor little Boots. I've not heard of a urinary blockage. Wow, that must have been extremely painful. How horrible for both of you. It's so hard when our little pals suffer. We suffer right along with them.

      Delete
    2. Did your vet recommend specific urinary tract food to help prevent that? Boots has to eat the urinary tract stuff now.

      Delete
    3. I didn't even know there was special food for that. I'm assuming the vet didn't recommend it yet as this is only the second time Anna's had a UTI, and it wasn't a blockage. I will definitely keep this in mind though, if it continues to be a problem. She is already on (expensive!) prescription food for allergies. The things we do for our animals. Hopefully Boots gets lots of relief from his food.

      Delete
  4. I am so happy Anna's biopsy is non-cancerous. Whew!
    Glad your mammogram is good too- my 1st cousin had breast cancer at 23..she had a double mastectomy and chemo, is fine now 10 years later, but at 23 she found the lump during a self exam. Thanks for reminding people - no matter what your age do the self exam monthly and when you can get a mammogram, do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're really happy about Anna's biopsy results too, Krystal Lynn! I'm so glad that I didn't allow my self to fixate on the possibilities of her having cancer. I would have spent that whole time worrying for nothing!

      You make a good point - "when you can get a mammogram, do it." Not everyone has insurance or the ability to cover the co-pay for these types of procedures. I do believe, however, that there are organizations that can help defray the costs of mammograms for people who can't afford them. It certainly is worth looking into, if needed.

      I did the reminder, because frankly, I am the worst about these types of things. I've missed getting a mammogram for the last 4 years. I just couldn't be bothered. It was upsetting my family though. Plus, all the reminders I kept hearing in the media just finally wore me down. I'm glad I went. It puts my family at ease. So I figured I would be one of those reminders for someone else like me! I'm definitely going to make an effort to go every year from now on. It's just better to catch these things in an early state if possible.

      Thanks for your input!

      Delete
  5. Wow...so sorry you're kitty has been feeling so poorly, but I'm glad she's going to be OK. I'm proud of you for not freaking out totally about the mess, either...I would seriously be considering it and I'm not even OCD! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha, yeah, it probably would have been a big deal for most anyone, I guess. Never thought about that. I'm just so used to the idea that my head is "different" than most people that I forget non-OCDers can struggle with times of anxiety too.

      Since we temporarily stopped the antibiotics the vomiting has stopped too. So I do think she will be just fine once we get through this. Thanks for the hugs! I'm always a big fan of those. : )

      Delete
  6. I'm glad your mammogram came back okay and I'm glad kitty will be okay!

    I would have been a basket of stress if I had to keep cleaning up blood and urine. I am proud of you for surviving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, thank you! "Basket of stress," I like that term. I was a little basket of stress, but somehow the techniques I've learned in CBT just help me to tolerate stuff better.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad your kitty is better. I finally got another dog after 5 yrs of waiting (our last dog got put down because she had some illness and wasn't eating anymore) because i didn't want to freak out about her needs/ accidents. But i missed out on all the cuddling and hugging i could have gotten from her, tool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin. It is really hard dealing with all the accidents. As I was picking up some of Anna's messes I said to my husband, um I think I don't want any more pets after this! But then, now that she's feeling better and acting like her normal self, and being very affectionate and cuddly, I'm thinking, oh, I always want to have pets. So I hear ya!

      I'm very happy for you and your new furry friend. I hope you and your doggy have a wonderful life together. : )

      Delete