Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Book Review - "OCD: A Guide for The Newly Diagnosed by Michael A. Tompkins, PhD"

Thanks to Ann's great book review, I purchased a copy of "OCD: A Guide for The Newly Diagnosed" by Michael A. Tompkins, PhD. I'm glad I bought it, because, like Ann, I also think it will be a good little reference work to keep around. I won't go into a detailed analysis of the book because Ann has already done so. However, I've a few thoughts I'd like to share.

The author explains a lot of the basics, so that anyone new to the world of an OCD diagnosis will have a good starting point to begin the healing process. There is a lot to learn about OCD and I think this book organizes the issues well.

I appreciate Dr. Tompkins' advice on finding an appropriate counselor. I even laughed when I read his comment on page 60, ". . . you will not find the perfect person to help you nor will you enter treatment without any doubts or unanswered questions." I have to admit that in the early days of therapy (like the entire first year!), I often wondered if my doctor was the perfect doctor for me. I believe Dr. Tompkins does a good job of explaining how to maximize your results from treatment while at the same time reassuring the reader that some doubts are to be expected.

I agree with Ann that the chapter on recovery is excellent. It was my favorite chapter, but I guess that makes sense because that is my focus at this time in my life.

There is also a chapter at the end of the book that lists many resources, including books and organizations, and even treatment centers. Inclusion of a list of treatment centers is an excellent idea as it can sometimes be difficult to find a comprehensive list of these centers elsewhere. The book resource list is lengthy, though there were a few missing titles I had expected to see in the list.

In summary, I would absolutely recommend this book to an OCD patient. It will take permanent residence on my bookshelf, side by side with all of my other anxiety disorder resources. 

4 comments:

  1. Good review, Sunny. It sounds like a book that would be good to have on my shelf too. I like the idea of having a good book for a reference. Even though I've been diagnosed for years, there is still much for me to learn. And sometimes going back and reading the basics is helpful Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. Yes, you are so right about returning to the basics.

      I had been officially diagnosed for over a dozen years before I really learned about OCD. I pretty much try to read anything I can get my hands on about it. Now, maybe I'm being a little OCD about all the reading . . .

      Delete
  2. It's amazing that no matter how many books I read about OCD, each one usually has some info or advice I hadn't yet heard...or at least a new twist on the same information...I will put your recommendation on my list of books to read, Sunny. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete