Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Safe Person

When I mentioned my “safe person” to others with OCD, I received a knowing look and an acknowledgment that yes, they too had a safe person. A safe person is that one human being in the world that you can trust beyond anyone else. That person will understand your anxiety and not judge you, they will comfort you, challenge you to face your fears, walk with you when you do face them, and mostly, they make the world feel like a less scary place. Things will be ok simply because they are there.

My husband is my safe person. This works great, except for when he is not with me. Therein lies the problem. I know, that try as he might, he will not always be here for me. Work and other obligations get in the way. Last year, severe illness almost took him from me permanently. When he is not available to me, I often stumble and feel lost.

I realize, more than ever, that Jesus was meant to be my safe person. Sometimes I treat Him like He is. Far too often, I look to my husband instead. However, Romans 8:38-39 states, “For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” ESV I want Jesus to always be my safe person because He is the only One who always can be. Oh, I think it’s just fine that I still count on my husband for love and support, just as I hope he counts on me too. Ultimately, though, I must remember that only Jesus is completely trustworthy, completely available, completely loving, completely able to supply all my needs, and completely worthy. Nothing can separate Him from me; not work, not illness, not anything. He is the Ultimate Safe Person. In fact, I believe he went so far as to die on a cross to become my safe person. He’ll be yours too, if you want.

2 comments: