Why "71º & Sunny?"

I consider 71º to be the perfect temperature. Not too cold and not too hot. I also love perfect sunny days. The vast majority of days are not 71º & Sunny and yet, all days were created by God's hand and they are still gifts, even if they don't fit my ridiculous definition of perfection. My struggle with OCD has at times imprisoned me in an impossible attempt to achieve perfection. I'm now learning to love all kinds of days that don't even come close to 71º & Sunny.

Please leave me a comment below. I really want to know what you are thinking!

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Compulsive Skin Picking - Revisited

Well, I guess I was silly to be nervous about my doctor's appointment yesterday.  I spilled it out right away when I saw my doctor and she was very sweet about it. She explained to me that Compulsive Skin Picking (CSP) is difficult to deal with because apparently there is an endorphin rush that occurs during skin picking. I had never heard about that before. Who knew? Why couldn't I be one of those people that gets an endorphin rush from say, exercising? In fact, I believe I get a reverse-endorphin rush from exercising. Anyway, I digress.

As usual it seems like I am viewing my recovery from CSP the way I view everything else, and that is with a cognitive distortion. The cognitive distortion of choice this time is all or nothing thinking. If I fail once during the day, well then why bother for the rest of the day. My doctor suggested that instead of trying to fight my CSP all the time with HRT that I should limit it to one hour at a time. So for one hour (using a timer) I am to follow all the steps for HRT. After that, I can totally ignore the HRT and do what I want. She would like me to do this one hour experiment three times a day. Apparently if I get some success for short periods of time it should encourage and motivate me to do it longer. I guess we'll find out!

2 comments:

  1. Hello! It sounds like your doctor is very understanding. I hope the new way of doing HRT helps.
    I hope you don't mind, but I recommended your blog in a comment on another blog where the writer also suffers from skin picking. The blog is Light One Candle at http://oneanxiousgal.blogspot.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tina! I absolutely do not mind. I'll take it as a compliment, especially coming from you, as I really enjoy your blog. I would be thrilled if spilling my guts online helps someone else. And yes, my doc is awesome. I did manage to get thru 1 hour the other night. 1 day at a time, right?

    ReplyDelete